Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Croke Park Hours- will they ever finish?

• 21-01-2023 12:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭

Title pretty much sums it up.

Are we gonna be stuck doing these hours for evermore or is there a time they'll finish up?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭2011abc

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Random sample

I’m waiting for them to be added to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

There was something about a reduction in them over the summer but it doesn’t seem to have been applied to us yet. Maybe we should be asking the unions ?

I did hear of one local PP school who held a PT meeting in the schools normal school day recently 😲

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭cmssjone

I'm curious as to why civil servants are having these hours abolished and teachers aren't. I would have assumed the unions would have been a lot more vocal about this if this is the case. Does anyone have a link to the differences that are happening with regards to the general civil service and teaching staff?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Agreed, they are the must frustrating thing ever….hate every last one of them and we always lose a day off our summer holidays every year to use up some of them !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,737 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Is there still a legal basis for the Croke Park hours?

As in weren't they an emergency measure during thr financial crash?

Are we the only group still doing them, effectively working for free

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Treppen

Gradually schools will stop doing them, or maybe stick up a video on zoom that we all have to tune into and duly get on with cooking the dinner.

Anyone stopped doing supervision duty? I've heard a few schools don't bother now, although if an incident occurred who would be liable? School or Teacher?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Random sample

What do you mean stopped doing supervision duty? Teachers not turning up when timetabled, or schools not timetabling supervision? I’ve not heard of either, and I’d be very surprised at schools not providing it.

ASTI passed a motion to negotiate Croke Park hours with the Dept given most other public servants don't do the hours anymore.

I'd keep the after-school PT meetings as it suits working parents but the other hours could easily be done away with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭thehairygrape

Never heard of a school without a supervision rota. I can only comment on PP so maybe you’re right at primary level. Can’t imagine it though. Certainly, some teachers opted out when they had the chance, but I think that opt out is gone now. If a school has no rota in place then they are certainly liable ( or BOM to be precise).

As to Crome Park hours, don’t get me started. Waste of everyone’s time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭amacca

I wonder are a lot of teachers simply not aware that they are the only ones still doing the croke park hours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

If there are schools doing this, then ultimately the management/BOM is liable I would imagine. There's clearly defined guidelines how many hours we are supposed to do for S&S in the circulars, and it's part of core pay, except for teachers who opted out. If there's a court case where a child has an accident, the first question that would be asked is 'who was supposed to be supervising, and where were they at the time?'

If it's a case that a school puts up a rota, but then doesn't enforce it, then it's a bit of a grey area. Management will say 'staff have the rota, they know where they are supposed to be'. Can't imagine with so many ridiculous claims that go through the courts that a school would leave itself open by not having supervision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Can’t see that happening in our place we do CP and then some it’s a pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭jayo76

As much as I hate these hours this statement is not true. Other public service workers are still doing the Croke Park Hours, they no longer do the additional hours that were added under the subsequent Haddington Road agreement but the Croke Park hours are still in place for them.

For teachers the additional hours under the Haddington Road agreement were an additional 6 hours S and S that brought the S and S total from 37 to 43 hours. If we were to get the alleviation other public sector workers have then these hours would be removed but not the after school Croke park detention hours unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭Alex86Eire

We were told just before Easter that our 40 minutes of professional time every week now needs to be accounted for. Apparently inspectors can ask you for a log of your 40 minutes per week from September.

Havent heard of that yet, but Grand. Just get a blank word document and pick a class off each week and write one line.

Captains Log 3932.2

September

Monday 4th 13:55 -{insert one sentence of BS here}

Monday 11th 13:55 -{insert one sentence of BS here}

Monday 18th13:55 -{insert one sentence of BS here}

Or first two 40minute periods will be used to plan out the log 😁

Were they not to cover time used for SLARs? You only get the 40 if you're teaching JC classes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Treppen

Too much work for that.

Just ask chatGPT and delete parts accordingly.

If they really want a more detailed report I can give them 10,000 words to read 🤣

Here is an example of how a teacher might use a 40-minute professional development plan template:

Assess where you are now: The teacher takes 5 minutes to reflect on their current skills and areas for improvement.

Identify your specific career goals: The teacher spends 5 minutes identifying their long-term career goals, such as becoming a head of department or a member of pastoral care.

Gather information: The teacher spends 5 minutes researching the skills and experience required to achieve their goals.

Identify what professional skills you already have and which you need to work on: The teacher takes 5 minutes to assess their current skills and identify areas for improvement.

Choose how you will accomplish your goals: The teacher spends 5 minutes outlining the steps they will take to achieve their goals, such as attending workshops or taking courses.

Develop a timeline for accomplishing your specific targets and goals: The teacher takes 5 minutes to create a timeline for achieving their goals, including specific milestones and deadlines.

Write it all down: The teacher spends 5 minutes documenting their plan in the professional development plan template.

Evaluate your plan: The teacher takes 2 minutes to review their plan and make any necessary adjustments.

Measure your progress: The teacher sets aside 3 minutes to reflect on their progress and make any necessary adjustments to their plan.

This is just one example of how a teacher might use a professional development plan template in a 40-minute session. The specific steps and time allocation may vary depending on the individual teacher’s needs and goals .

Might create a separate thread about GPT.

It's been like a bomb going off in some universities. I've found it useful to help with corrections, generating tests and content.

It's been a pain getting students off it and to write their own essays. The amount of students who completed CBAs through GPT is unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭2011abc

Yeah GPT should be fought at every opportunity and yet many ‘educationalists ‘seem to be promoting it .And now the new ‘AI’ ‘friend’ thing in recent weeks , RIP human interaction amongst under 30 year olds …..( as it was they’d sooner use the self service till than say ‘Hi’ and ‘thanks’ to a shop assistant ) like we’re transitioning from IT hash to heroin.People will be looking at screens every waking hour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭Alex86Eire

I don't see any point in fighting chat gpt. There needs to be discussion on how to best assess students going forward alright because its not like AI is going to disappear.

I used it today to create biased and unbiased versions of articles to help students practice evaluating pieces of text. There is a lot you can do with it.

Advertisement