Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VPN on Freesat box, not on the router

• 20-01-2023 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, is it possible to setup a VPN on the newest, official Freesat boxes instead of on the router? ie. within the network settings of the Freesat box. I have not purchased the box yet, and I would like to know this before deciding to

I would like to avoid setting up a VPN on the wifi router as then it affects all devices in the house connected to the wifi. It's for my parents' house, so I don't want all of their devices to be affected if a problem arises with the VPN.

Apologies if this question has been answered already - I could not find it via a search of the forum. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

I am not an expert on these boxes but given the intended market I doubt they would bother adding.

Other solutions would be a higher end router that allows you to define what interface a client uses or a small cheap router with VPN between the device and your main router.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Can't be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eoinous

Thanks for your reply. I will investigate the cheap router option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭swoofer

When you say official Freesat boxes which one do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eoinous

The 4k boxes (recordable or non-recordable) listed on the 'freesat dot co dot uk' website. Sorry, I am a new member so don't have permission to post links yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭dubrov

As others have said, I doubt FreeSat boxes support VPNs.

If you just want to get around geoblocks, I am sure you can update the DNS settings on these boxes.

So maybe have a look at a Smart DNS type solution.

Advertisement