Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manual Watch Servicing. Goldsmith Ring Repair

Options
  • 19-01-2023 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭

Hi folks.

Is there anyone locally that can service a mechanical winding watch (Enicar) and I'm also looking to get a one diamond ring repaired, where the band has broken just before the diamond. Thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭dakar

I’ve dropped mechanical watches in to Wehrlys before. They don’t do them in house, but send them off and get an estimate for you to give the go ahead. Tony Henry had been the only one I know of in town who was doing it himself but is retired.

There’s a thread with suggestions on the Watches board if you’d consider sending it off: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058240612/watchfix-ie-or-watchrepair-ie-or-someone-else-entirely#latest

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Chauncey Gardner

Thanks Dakar, that’s very helpful and kind of you to dig out the link for me. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭tinpib

Just seeing this now. If you are still looking for the diamond ring repair then Tony Henry's brother Gilly on High Street would be a good bet. He is a goldsmith so does bespoke rings, so he would be the most likely to get the repair done on site in Sligo, always good to be able to talk to the person who will actually do the work face to face rather then it getting sent off to some randomer somewhere.

Thanks for that, sounds like the ticket. Is the shop still open? I see there's a kind of commercial small shop front, but the main shop has gone?

The main Henry's jewellers is closed, that was run by Billy Henry, then his son Tony took it over maybe 15/20 years ago, closed maybe 3 or 4 years ago. It was your standard jewellery shop, sold watches, clocks, rings etc. Both Billy and Tony were/are horologists so did repairs on site too.

The unit beside it is run by Billy's other son, Gilly who is the goldsmith. It is kind a black stone and maybe green building and is still trading. Gilly still works there every day.

It looks like his website has been hacked, but his Facebook is here.

• Advertisement

Hi, i visited the shop unit on Saturday but it doesn't appear to have been occupied for a good while. The Facebook page hasn't been active for a good while now (June 2021).

Do you know if Gilly is still offering the Goldsmith service? Thanks again.

Sounds like you might have gone to Henry's jewellers which has been closed for about 3 or 4 years. Gilly's shop is next door to it, kinda green and black and is still trading. His phone number is on the Facebook page I linked to, try giving him a call and I'm sure he will be able to help out.

This is Gilly's unit, an old photo from his FB page, did you try here or the one beside it?

And this is the shop that closed down, is this the one you went to?

Either way Id say maybe phoning in advance might be best, make sure you get him when he is there.

Walked past Gilly's place today, his display did look a bit neglected alright. So no idea if he is still trading, I assumed he was, hadn't heard any different.

Hi, thanks again for that. I thought the same, display looks like its been there for a good while and door doesn't look used.

Walked past Gilly's again there, the display is lit up and there are rings in it now. Also saw on the door about making an appointment, so that's probably the best thing to do. If you are still looking.

• Advertisement

Thanks again for that. Coincidence, or the power of Boards? 😁

Advertisement