Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spain/Canary Islands - with decent internet?

• 19-01-2023 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭DaveByDavid

We are looking at going away in February.

Initially it was going to be a beach/pool type holiday, until I realised the temperatures aren't quite what I expected in most Spanish locations in Feb (feel a bit stupid for not realising!)

So now the options are - Canary Islands (where it seems to hit highs of 20 degrees), or just somewhere like Barcelona for a more sightseeing trip.

But ideally I need somewhere with good internet, especially upload speed.

Are there any particular hotels that are good for that? Or some kind of mobile broadband thing I can pick up easy enough? Even better if I can order it direct to Ireland before I go.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

What do you define as "good internet"

Could you tether your phone if you have 5G?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭DaveByDavid

Don't have 5g I don't think. I'm with GOMO and not sure whether the internet would cut out after a while.

I would need to upload files that are around 5gb in size every day. So anything 20mb or higher would be ideal. 10mb up would probably be workable.

Just can't be dealing with the standard 0.5 - 1.5mb you often get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

GoMo barely do 5G in Ireland. Your roaming will have a limit of 20GB a month under fair use (I think)

Most hotels have decent internet connections, and you could always ask your Airbnb host if that's what youre thinking.

I was mostly considering just doing a standard hotel type place, maybe all inclusive as the family would be coming as well, I just need to be able to work a little while I'm there.

I will try and contact a few hotels and see.

But in the meantime, if anyone has any recommendations, let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Do canaries and get an airbnb and make sure to check for fast wifi. I 'escaped' there for 6 months during covid lockdown and rented a cheap small holiday home. No issues working whatsover.

• Advertisement

Will think about it for sure.

Have never used Airbnb before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭monseiur

Tenerife south is the warmest of the Canary Isles in February / March, it's 21C there right now ! The north end of the island can be a 8 to 10 degrees cooler in Spring. Resorts like Los Cristianos, Playa de las Americas and Costa Adeja are just 15 minutes from the airport. Most hotels have high speed broadband, not sure of upload speed as I go on holiday to get away from all that stuff😊

Thanks.

Unfortunately working for myself means having to work on holiday sometimes, but at least I can get away in February.

I thought Gran Canaria was the hottest island in February, but happy to take advice if you think it's Tenerife.

It will be with my wife and teenage son - I take it the above are locations rather than hotels? (I'm clueless). Any hotel recommendations? Looking for something close to restaurants in the evening in particular.

15 mins from airport sounds good - I want to get private transfer this time instead of shuttle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭monseiur

You may be right about Gran Canaria being hottest in February, but I doubt there's very little in it either way. I recall doing some research on it many years ago and it seems that Tenerife South has a micro climate of it's own due to the surrounding hills so less rain and warmer in February. March that the other islands.

Regarding accommodation, we always stay in apartments (self catering) Stayed in Villa Mandi which is in Playa de las Americas many times, was there last March. It has a golf course next door (if that's your thing!) also Siam Park in Costa Adeja is not too far away, there's a regular bus service. Ideal for kids of any age, it's built on the side of a hill, has water slides, huge heated wave pools etc. Stayed in The Suites at Beverly Hills previously, it's in Los Crisitianos - it's literally built into the side of a hill with a steep climb up to it so will test your fitness - but there's a taxi rank just around the corner 24/7

Excursions are available to places like Mount Teide it's an active volcano but hasn't erupted in over 100 years - it's supposed to be the highest point in all of Spain, a visit would be educational for kids, cable car rides to near the summit are available weather permitting. Loads of sandy beaches but water may be a little cold in February.

There are more restaurants that you could shake a stick at but the food in some .....leaves a lot to be desired....but there's always Burger King

Traffic can be a problem at times, so what should be a 15 minute transfer from airport could take up to 30 !

Thanks all!

Think we're going to take a rain check on this one and go somewhere more local and think again for June where there's probably more options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Interesting101

Just as an FYI for June ...I'm pretty sure Corralejo in Fuerteventura had some form of IT rollout from government that hotels (apartments) got updated to certain min spec level.Dont know exact speeds.

There are plenty of rentable high speed co working desks / office available to rent daily aswell if you got really stuck at short notice.

• I stayed in the Gloria Palace Amadores in Gran Canaria, enjoyed really fast internet in that hotel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭beachhead

You'll be pushing it for upload speeds unless in an airb&b and the speeds are confirmed by the owner.

Advertisement