Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Argos

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Sad to hear but not surprised

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭It is a Dunne Deal

The storm clouds are gathering.

Never really bought much stuff in Argos over the years. Used to like looking at the catalogues when I was a kid. Never really thought much of their shops. If I want toys I'd go to Smyths, if I want furniture I'd go to IKEA or a furniture shop, if I want DIY and garden stuff I'd go to Woodies or B+Q, if I want electrical stuff I'd go to Harvey Norman or Powercity and if I want jewellery I'd go an actual jewellers.

I never saw what advantage Argos had over all the other options, it wasn't like they were cheap and the presence of online retailers probably was the final nail in their coffin. Wouldn't be surprised if their UK stores are next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Neames

Tough break on all of the workers there. While I accept that online shopping created a big challenge for them, I thought that they were doing ok. They seemed to offer good value on various things. Sympathy for the workers, I don't think many of them would have seen this coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭markpb

I would imagine that Brexit and Amazon were the storm clouds in this case, not a pending recession.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tjhook

Yeah, I'll be sorry to see them go too. They had a decent variety of goods, generally decent pricing (although some exceptions where things were very expensive), and appeared to be good to deal with when something was faulty.

Either way, less competition won't be good for the consumer.

I'd imagine the staff will be ok to find new jobs - they'd have experience of good up-to-date systems in Argos. I hope so anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Meirleach

They were handy sometimes when you wanted to just pop into town and grab something quickly with a half decent range.

Argos really should have been the European Amazon they were ideally placed at least in UK&I, but they were incredibly slow to get online and even now their website is pants(don't make me click each store to see if an item is in stock, just show me the stores that have it!) and their online ordering system wasn't great either.

Still sad to see them go, less competition is bad for consumers. Plus a big hit to staff during a time of crazy expenses.

Yeah true enough but the problem their model sort of offered the disadvantages of both online shopping and bricks and mortar retail and the advantages of neither.

Not being able to go to the shop pick up the item off and the shelf and pay for it yourself but still having to go to actual shop is not ideal in this day and age. They had a good range if the products were actually in stock all the time which they weren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭It is a Dunne Deal

Could very well be but tis bad news nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Ah stop it. They are all going to get very generous redundancy and they will all find new jobs a day after.

Huge number of vacancies in retail and service businesses

The staff are winners here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Neames

Maybe they will find jobs quickly and I hope they do get generous redundancy packages.

If you're of a certain age, the prospect of redundancy can be a worrying prospect. That's my point.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

When you are of a certain age it really does not matter how many jobs are out there, your chances of finding a new position will be very difficult. If you have health issues it may not be easy to establish a new career, get the support you had in the past position, if you have family care responsibilities it may not be easy for you and an array of other things.

Live has a lot to teach you and in particular not everyone is going to be a winner, some sadly will loose out and never recover.

Advertisement