Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Impossible to access light bulb in Translucent Snaidero kitchen shelf. Inspiration please

Options
  • 19-01-2023 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi all.

We had a Snaidero kitchen installed around 2010. The suplier went bust soon afterwards. Now, 12 years later a bulb has failed in a double-sided glass shelf in a wall mounted unit. To explain, the lighting tube is located between a lower & upper glass shelf, thus illuminating the worktop & contents of the upper unit

I am reasonably practical, but I can see no way to access this unit. It's metal & glass, zero visible fixings or panels that can be prized open. The only way to to access might be from the ends, which basically means disassembling the entire wall, including extractor fans, etc. 😫 It might even be worse that that as one end is a wall and the other is a tall unit with ovens. And in between extractor fans, etc AAAGGGHHH

Any inspiration would be hugely appreciated. Maybe recommend a really bright LED strip 😣

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

It feels like some of the trim on the upper shelf could be pulled up and you use a suction pad to lift the glass. I would go at it with a plastic pry bar and maybe a hairdryer if it feels like it's glued.

Alternatively, can you get to the wire that supplies power and just disconnect the light entirely? Then attach LEDs to the outside of the glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭fortyplus

Thanks. The upper glass slides a few mm in every direction, but the aluminum frame is really snug at every junction. I have leveraged the trim as much as I dare, but it's against glass, so that could end badly. It's a really well constructed module. Just zero thought given to how it might be maintained...

I have tried pulling the front trim off, which would be the only logical approach but even with it bowing in the centre there is not a hint of it disconencting at the edges.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Yeah, I would lever the aluminium frame where it meets the front trim, but as you said, maybe it's not meant to come off.

OK, possibly some progress. We realised it is probably possible to extract this unit independently from the linear set and disassemble that way. Assuming that works it will certainly be a LED based replacement!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Toff

I have the same problem, did you find a solution?

• Advertisement

Ha! What with life etc, this has not been addressed but will be shortly. 99% the only way forward is to remove the entire cabinet unit from the wall. Awaiting my assistant as it's a 2 person job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Toff

Thanks, I would be interested in knowing how you get on.

Finally, everything off the wall, and still no obvious way to access the bulb. No fixings on the outside of the unit that were previously hidden.

The alumimum franed shelf unit holding the light fitting is slid over some bolts fixeed in eith end and thus had hidden fittings. I can see but not access these from the rear. But the back panel slides down into a slot in the rear alumimum profile, thus preventing sliding out the shelf. So it looks like they started with the shelf 😫. So much for expensive Italian design.....time for a cup of tea and some thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 27,037 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Are you sure the bulb holder doesn't just pull our of the glass like a normal spotlight does?

Usually they would be held in via springs so should just pull out.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Hoagy

Page 59 shows what may be your item, if that's it the it is a 12v LED strip fitted internally to the frame with an external power supply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭laros

Have you contacted the manufacturer.... ? also they have an agent in Dublin .... https://www.snaidero.com/en/stores/?_store_nazione=IE

Yes. Zero interest 😕 Or less than zero if that is possible😁

Thanks for that. The general idea is similar but not exactly the same. I really do believe that started with the illuminated shelf and gave zero thought the servicability. I will post some further images later, but suffice to say I spent a few hours with this off the wall and made zero progress. The only feasible approach was to pull the front Al profile off and this would bring the fluorcesent tube out. However I pulled this at either end, pulled in the centre until it bowed out and nothing. No push-secret fixings, no allen keys, no tiny screws, nothing. Absolutly zero visible assemby points. Made worse by no branding, so no idea who made the shelf originally. But I have a plan B. I think I will just replace with these slimline LED plates. These should not be visible from any normal position in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭youtheman

I have a kitchen that is similar, but not exactly the same. Could see no way of getting to the element. Then I figured it out, I had to prize the upper pane of glass out (with a knife).

Have you tried getting a flat knife in here, looks to be a small gap here, plus one piece of metal overlaps the other, might be a 'joint'.

Advertisement