Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wait 6 months to reregister car in UK or not?

Options
  • 19-01-2023 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭

I'm moving to UK for 2 x years in March. My insurance is up in Ireland on 27th April. According to 123.ie all their policies include comprehensive cover for UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man etc. Hopefully, I will like the job and will stay in UK. The job has six months probation anyway. To get the the analog speedometer changed - my KM clock is not legal in UK , various DVLA admin stuff and new number plates - I have been quoted 1100 stg. I am wondering is it OK to drive my car in UK for 6 months - I think I have to reregister it then - or should I be registering it immediately as taking a permanent job in the UK means I am resident there, though job is probationery for 6 months. I don't want to fall foul of any laws, but moving is expensive, and if I could drive my car without reregistering it for 3 months or so in UK, it woukd help a lot financially. I have to bring it over on the boat if I reregister it now and that's an extra 400 on top of import and reregistering charges of 1100,and of course the time to bring it over and back. If I renew my car insurance here in April do I just give my Irish address? I don't want to fall foul if any laws so advice on this would be really helpful

Comments

Advertisement