Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Rav4/Lexus RX, IS300h, ES300h thefts via CAN bus

Options
  • 18-01-2023 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,309 ✭✭✭✭
    M

Apparently there's a big rise in the UK of thefts of Toyota Rav4 and Lexus RX and ES models, likely to be occuring on these shores sooner or later so a heads up to anyone owning one. The thieves are getting access to wiring looms of the headlight of the passenger side of the car via wheelarch lining or bumper and then connecting a device which allows them to take control of the car as if they had the owners key. No current workaround, suggestions to park passenger side near a wall or instal a ghost immobiliser.

I believe models are...

Toyota

• Rav4 5th Generation

Lexus

• RX 4th Generation
    • IS300h facelift model from 2016
    • ES300h

I am unsure if this also is an issue for the Toyota Landcruiser, it is for the Lexus LX which in some markets is sold as the high end Landcruiser 200/300.

See video below, shocking how quick it's done.

UK

US Model but same process, note headlight not working afterwords...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Just as a follow up to this, Toyota UK have a campaign (not well publicised) where dealers will arrange for protection plates to be installed to help protect against the headlight access needed to carry out these thefts.

Campaign bulletin is WB853 and the part number for the plates is GBN GAB RACK01. It's installed at a nominal cost to the customer (typically £70 over there).

I've contacted my dealer and Toyota Ireland to find out if it's available here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gunasekaranmohan

Hi el Fenomeno

Have you got any response from Ireland dealer?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gunasekaranmohan

Have you got any response from Ireland dealer?

Advertisement