Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows or Stove

Options
  • 17-01-2023 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi,

Not sure if Im posting in the right place so if im moved, no probs.

Anyways...My house is rather drafty and some of the room temperatures are quite low. For example, I came home from work....the heating was on fpr 1 hour just before i came home, via timer, I went into the bedroom and the temperature in the room was 8 degrees (I have thermometers on some walls in the house). The outside temperature was 0 degrees so I'm not concerned if the temp of the room was low....but 8 degrees is way too low. I might aswell be sleeping in the shed. Anyways, I went around all windows and some of the are drafty. However, I have put that e-type weather stripping around it but it doesn't seem to have alot of effect. Then I think what's happening is the air in the rooms/wherever is hitting the glass, cooling, falling and going into the room as cold air.

I got a guy out to inspect the window and I've been told that all the seals need to be replaced and hinges...but most of the handles are fine for now. However, I'm concerned that the place will be the same after he's done the work because the issue is the glass....not only the seals/hinges. O wanted to get a stove installed in the sitting room (I've an open fire) but vpst is an issue. My option is that I can get a stove and get the windows repaired...and I'm thinking then get secondary glazing panels installed. Or O can just bite the bullet and get all brand new double glazed windows throughout the house and forget the stove for now. What do yee think?

Have yee any advice or anything? Thanks.

Dan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

A friend of mine got all the seals checked / repaired on windows and said it made a massive difference.

She is just replacing front door but I think that's more a matter of decoration really

Not sure if this is much help to you

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

We recently replaced windows and fitted a freestanding stove,

By far the biggest change was the windows, as all rooms are now warmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Mate there is zero point pumping heat into a building with poor insulation and windows. Get the windows done. Forget about the stove and get a decent condensing boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭djt0607

Thanks for the replies. I'm heading towards just having the windows replaced. I got a few quotes from a few companies. Two of which are keane windows and senator windows. I'm wondering who, of those two, are the best choice to go with?

Thanks.

Advertisement