Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Outage / Broadband still working

Options
  • 17-01-2023 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭

On Saturday we had a 4 hour power outage where I live. It affected around 800 houses. I have a Kia EV car and able to output power from it using an extension lead.

From the extension lead I plugged in the ONT power, router, TV and Android box and amazingly was able get full Fibre broadband up and running and watch the rugby. (I should have charged the neighbours entry fee to watch! :-))

I have a FTTH connection, but was surprised this still worked as I had assumed a wide power outage would have affected broadband in the area??

Maybe someone can shed light on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Backup power supply for network equipment and/or that part was no effected, i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The fibre cable is just a passive tube for the light to travel in, so long as there's power at both ends it'll continue to work.

There are backup power supply units, UPS, available for home use for when there's a power outage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

The exchange building where the switching equipment for your fibre is housed has battery power backup & Generator in case of power outages, PSTN phonelines will also work in outages power is brought to the NTU in your house from the exchange at about 50v DC. although Fibre to the Cab might cut out after several hours your will have a phone service.

Advertisement