Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Company disagreeing with my roles & title

Options
  • 17-01-2023 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I work in IT. Been here approx 8 years. First 4 years was a different role. 4 years ago I took on a new role, with some upskilling needed. Did the upskilling, have done the tasks that were required of me, and have always put in a good shift, working late when needed etc. My new title is on my email signatures, is in the company hierarchy chair, and I am referred to as this new title/role to all colleagues and customers.

When it came to my last performance review, I said I'd like to be paid the industry standard for my role. I didn't even ask for the more Senior end of the scale, Junior-Mid in some cases, as there was still a decent sized salary gap compared to my current salary. Of course it was at this point, my boss (and their bosses) said that I'm actually not fulfilling the job spec completely and that the tasks I'm doing actually match a different role, similar to my previous role, so they're paying me on par with that other role. Despite me disagreeing and saying that's not correct, they insisted they're not upping my salary to match the my actual role. I sent them a document listing all the things I do, and they're still adamant. It's beyond hypocritical to be fine with my role and tasks over the past 4 years, and then only disagree with it all during my performance review.

I know it's probably time to move on from this company, but while I am here I'd like to at least try rectify this. Any advice on how to proceed here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Hey2.Hey2

Unless your job is covered by legislation (The old Agricultural wage for example, and that has been long repealed), unfortunately you'll have to move to improve, it seems.

An 'industry standard' means nothing, really. It just happens to be some computed figure that someone reckons is the average for a particular role; which in itself has no standard definition. It's a basis for negotiation, for sure, but that's all.

What is binding is the actual amount agreed between you and your employer on commencement plus any additional amounts later be they for more experience or promotion.

If either side baulks with these negotiations then that's the end of the matter and you have no way to force their hand other than dropping a hint that a move is in order (a losing gamble in your situation, methinks) or taking on extra responsibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Time to move on, particularly in a IT job

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Do the tasks that match your current salary and the role your employer is claiming you do, nothing more.

In the meantime look for a new position.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Only one way really, move on. Get your CV in order and start looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

when you moved to a new role were you provided with any kind of documentation? maybe advising the job title?

in any case job titles are pretty meaningless. its more to do with what you do in the company and (key) how much value they put on the role.

If they aren't paying you what you want then the only thing you can do after asking is to go to a company that will pay you what you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

How come you didn’t move to the higher wage when you took up the roll 4 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

industry standard is a notional figure in most sectors

If you are unhappy with what you are being paid and the company feel they don't want to pay you any more - brush up the CV and get looking for someone else who will pay you what you want.

One caveat I'd have is that before burning your bridges with you current employer make sure you have all your options covered. There would be nothing worse than going to the jobs market and realising that what you think you are worth isn't what employers are willing to pay and that you then have to either stick working in an unhappy environment or jump to an unknown for the same compensation

Advertisement