Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Some Car advice for 18k Budget.

Options
  • 17-01-2023 2:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi All,

I was hoping to get a little car advice, my 2006 Jetta 1.6 Petrol has finally bit the bullet, its at the point where its due TB and WP but has a slow battery drain somewhere, central locking not working and both drivers side doors solenoids giving issues, heater core blocked and handbrake ceasing up that i think the few hundred quid put it right will be better spent on going towards a new car which i have been wanting to do anyway.

I've a budget of 15k to 18k (20k at a serious push), annual mileage will probably be around 20-30k with the work commute being approx 2-3 days a week of approx 120km (60 there and 60 back) with a half to a third being motorway and once every 2 weeks a straight 120km trip with again a half to a third being motorway. Obviously looking for something economical so was thinking diesel but worried about maintenance, service costs and reliability. SOme work friends told me to keep away from 1.6 TDI (such as focus) as of potential issues that could arise after a few years

Styling and size wise i've been looking at Focus, Mondeo, passat, Octavia, Civic as but a few. Minimum age im looking to get would probably be 2016 or 2017 with a relatively high spec, parking sensors, apple carplay, cruse control would be nice. I also wouldn't mind going down the estate route to have room for the dogs. I like the 2018 model Civic but i'm guessing parts and servicing will be expensive. Similar with Volvo?

Any suggestion to look for? Worth going for the likes of a ford 1l ecoboost or similar?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,284 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Get a highline Passat.

Passat from 2015 onwards in a good car imo. Well built and comfortable. 2.0 tdi would be alot nicer than the 1.6 tdi.

With right spec, the interior is pretty good and alot came with stuff like automatic parking, radar cruise control etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭User1998

Can’t really go wrong with a Golf/Passat Octavia/Superb. There are tons of them out there to suit your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Quiksilver

Thanks Lads, Looking like i may have sorted out a Passat highline estate 1.6 tdi. Was looking for the 2L but had torouble finding a good spec, year and millage.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,284 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Be sure to buy a genuine one and have a good test drive to see can you live with the 1.6.

Look for proper detailed history. Too many getting clocked as they wear miles pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’ve a 2.0 Octavia estate the last few years and it’s a good mile muncher with a great boot and good passenger space, and hasn’t given me trouble.

That said there is small a step up in terms of comfort and refinement in a Mondeo or Passat, them being from the segment above.

A 1.5 Mondeo or 1.6 Passat will be grand on the motorway but a bit of a pain at low speeds. No worse than your Jetta though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Flashdan

Mazda 6 2.2 Diesel, Chain so not timing belt to worry about. Just a bit different .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭User1998

Advertisement