Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NASRPC AGM

Options
  • 15-01-2023 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭

Well folk, any news updates from yesterdays AGM.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

Silence says it all so...

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭badaj0z

A professional, orderly meeting which went according to the Agenda. A well prepared meeting with in depth backup to the Agenda and motions available for all to view, on line ,2 weeks before the meeting. The committee were re-elected which was appropriate considering the amount of work they have done for all clubs and competitors throughout the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Online to view.Where?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Any clubs join up or joining that will increase competitors or venues ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Not sure if any new clubs signed up but there were 13 clubs affiliated in 2022.

• Advertisement

The link was sent to all Member clubs for distribution to all of their club members as the meeting was open to all of these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭BSA International

As the "clubs" are the "members" why are they letting on that indivudals opinions matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭clivej

Great question. But you'll not get a response from them, because individuals don't matter.

As a member of Midlands,which I presume is a member,I never recived any such notification.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

How many people turned up for the AGM?

Yes, Midlands is one of the 13 affiliated clubs. Can't really blame the NASRPC on that one. Midlands should have forwarded on the info to its memebers.

• Advertisement

So it appears that from the 13 clubs affiliated that there were not deligates from the 13 clubs and indeed some clubs didnt even have representatives there....So what is the state of Gallery rifle shooting in Ireland going forward ?...its deffo not a growing sport within the shooting community, PRS, Stags, Long range .22 and Classic rifle shooting seem to be attracting a whole cohort to the sport....Gallery gone stale ??...or finally its slow decline grinding to a halt....

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭BSA International

As a member of an affiliated club how do I get a peep at the NASRPC finances? Are individuals even privy to see same as they are not a" member" of NASRPC?

To answer the above questions and comments. Yes, the clubs are the "members" of the NASRPC and the clubs appoint representatives to look after their interests and channel information in both directions. The clubs are a mixture of "member" run clubs and businesses. Each of them decide how to gather views and distribute information. If you are not getting feedback from the NASRPC then talk to your club rep or your committee or the owners of the business.

As regards the "growth" comment above, just under 400 entrants took part in the 9 National Competitions run across the country last year. Each entrant shot between 1 and 9 entries. There were 71 entrants at the MTSC shoot and 59 at the ECSC shoot). Remember that some entrants go to multiple shoots. The number of entrants is up approx. 22% on 2021. Many of these people also shoot the disciplines mentioned above.

A full draft programme of competitions is already scheduled for this year with extra shoots compared with last year. The first scheduled shoot is at the Lough Bo site on the 18th Feb (to be run by the Hilltop club) and the second is at the MNSCI on the 4th March. Both of these are 2 day shoots.

Agree on that one. Must have words as to why I didn't get that memo?.

To echo this, what is the status of the target shotgun disciplines as well? Is this discipline under, or anyway connected/covered/otherwise associated with NASRPC? Seems to have died a death,or gone very quiet pre, and post-COVID?

Also,what is NASRPC's stance /position on the upcoming SACF post-2017 bans? Surely this will affect the growth of the Classic M1 carbine discipline as well as the fledgeling Pistol Caliber Rifle [PCR] discipline? There are at least four people who have PCR s that are in the "Oberland Arms" price category of things that stand to lose these guns as well under this legislation.

Any info greatly received.

For an organisation that claims to represent 14,000 shooters, there were only 20 people at the AGM. And of those 20 people only 7 people at the AGM had voting rights and two of those are members of the National Executive.

7 Designated Representatives with the power to vote attended.

3 reps from the National Executive attended (along with another 2 included in the 7 voting reps).

10 non-voters (Others) attended.

It's hard to argue that the sport hasn't been in decline since the vote was taken away from individual shooters.

In my experience, a quiet AGM is a good thing. It implies that people are content with how things are run. We have all seen better attended AGM's but only when there was a row on. Recall the AGM of a few years ago in the Hotel in Naas, when over half the people there wanted a change of committee. Look back over the tumultuous meetings the NARGC had a while ago. The clubs who are members and the members of those clubs must be happy with what is happening as they have readily been willing to show their unhappiness in the past, by attending AGMs. On the contrary to your statement, how can you even suggest that the sport is in decline. All members clubs have had significant growth of membership, over the last few years, for a variety of reasons. The numbers I quoted above prove that attendances at competitions in increasing. Remember that the NASRPC is there for all Sporting Rifle shooting, not just Gallery Rifle and prone in particular has rapidly increased.

Frankly, I am amazed that you are still singing that old song when all the facts prove you wrong

Using the Naas revolt as a referance is way off track as to where things are today..to referance that occasion of "rent a mob" of whom most didnt actually have a vote so didnt make up half the club representatives served the purpose of a few to vent personal vendettas which still to this day has damaged the sport is way off track....and just turning up old ground.

How, when or what other type of shooting has the NASRPC promoted recently...since it has been referanced as promoting the sport of shooting ?? ...nothing for Target Shotgun or Classic rifle or Long range .22 .. the only new shows in town

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

A quiet AGM, as you quote, usually means that you found a way to keep the riff-raff (those dissenting) out, and keep the status-quo. Just like politics, if you have no real opposition then you are just a dictator in disguise. Makes no real difference because with all the bans coming, SACF, lead ammo, IR/Thermal sights, all this on top of mag restrictions, CF pistol bans, our own organizations calling for ban on night shooting and ALL S/A firearms etc. We only have ourselves to blame and make the most of it now, because it will be gone shortly.

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Advertisement

On a point of referance ...

Target shotgun was taken away from the NASRPC a couple of years back and given to TSAI who are the NGB for the sport.

It is a small but growing sport but seems to be able to succeed without any bullshit.

Second point is that the TSAI entered the world championships last year and one of its members won the individual World championship...fantastic PR for our sport of shooting but not getting a mention from our " National" association because it did not serve its cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭DogfoxCork

sure Ireland had a team go to the first ever PRS World Championships in France last year and no recognition was given by any of these organisations that are there to represent and promote the sports.

Everyone participating in these sports wants them to grow and then no organisation promotes them or gives them recognition other than individuals who are already fighting a losing battle 🤯

Yep, there's your way of looking at it, in that a quiet AGM is a good thing as it implies people are content. Another way of looking at it is that there is no point going to an AGM if you are not content because you don't get a vote. Only 7 people could vote at the AGM last week. That's not a good state of affairs.

The organisation (and I'm not saying that it does) could stink to high heaven but you'd be wasting petrol/diesel/shoe leather and your breath going to the AGM and speaking because, at the end of the day, you don't get a vote.

And you saying that the members of the clubs must be happy isn't really true when clubs aren't keeping their members up-to-speed, e.g. Grizz not knowing about the AGM even though he is a member of a club that's a member of the NASRPC. Now that's not the NASRPC's fault, but it shows that the members of the clubs aren't really kept updated about stuff that affects them. I absolutely can't see how it was of benefit to shooters to have their vote removed from them.

Anyway, you reckon the facts prove me wrong and attendance at competitions is increasing. You could be right, but I doubt it. Gallery is certainly behind where it was 8 or 9 years ago.

Also, the numbers you quoted don't prove anything. You said there were 400 entrants at 9 National events. Do you mean that 400 different people took part in the 9 National NASRPC competitions last year? I find that surprising because usually there is a core of 60 or 70 who do the competition circuit and then there'd be a few club members who would only take part in their own club's competitions. Hard to see it stretching to 400 different people. But even if that 400 people claim is right, it still doesn't prove anything because we don't know how many took part in 2016, 17, 18 etc. etc. etc. so there's no way of knowing without stats if the 400 number is increasing, decreasing or staying the same. It would be very easy to say that numbers are increasing if you are comparing the 2020 lockdown period with 2022 where there was no lockdown.

I'm also curious to know how the NASRPC can claim to represent 14,000 shooters. Are they trying to say that there's 14,000 members in the 13 affiliated clubs? I wonder where the 14,000 number came from?

Battlecorp/Liffeyfishing.

Why don't we look at this discussion from the point of view of how you could make a difference instead of just complaining?

Are you members of a shooting club?

If so, is the club a member of the NASRPC? If not, why not? Get them to join. If they are, then discuss your problems with your club reps and bring to one of the quarterly meetings of the NASRPC to address.

You will not like to acknowledge it but one of the strengths of the NASRPC is the way it runs competitions. All competitions are open to any licenced shooter, whether they are a club member or not. Every entrant is recorded, as are what disciplines they shot and the scores. There are 65 disciplines on offer and the scores of each entrant are recorded on the leader boards, all of which are available on the NASRPC web site. These results go back to 2008. It is very easy to flash through these results and the increase in participation is very obvious from the visual density of scores populated in the spread sheets without even having to count.

All statistics I quote are from these sheets or last year's financial results where the competition data is summarised. If you are a member of a club that is a member of the NASRPC, then you can browse this data to your heart's content. If not, then you know how to fix this, See above.

My last comment is on the effect of COVID on shooting and outdoor sports in general. The only good thing that I can see that came out of COVID, in the sporting sense, is the increased appreciation of being outdoors. So people went looking at sports that interested them. They found clubs on Boards. They found clubs on Facebook and on Google/Edge searches. They found the club ,of which I am a member. They found we were a member of a National Organisation with a schedule of Disciplines and a Competition programme that welcomed them with open arms. This was immediately obvious to my club as the number of enquiries we received increased enormously. This has resulted in a massive increase in membership which is continuing.

I am well aware of how the NASRPC operate and have choosen not to shoot any more gallery rifle competitions.

I am a member of two target clubs and dont feel the need to discuss the NASRPC any further with them

You eluded to the NASRPC open competitions...well its a pity that national title winners were not invited to collect their medals and awards at the recent AGM

Advertisement