Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Raw diet for dogs

• 14-01-2023 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

So I've got the other half on board with getting a dog into the family. I'll probably go for a lurcher.

I grew up with dogs and we always fed them raw diets along with some fruit and veg and maybe a treat from dinner (the German sherphard loved boiled potatoes). Sadly, my father isn't around anymore to ask for more info from some I'm hoping that some experienced dog owners would be able to help me plan out a diet.

Generally I'll be trying to keep costs down so it'll be a combination of veggies and fruit which we all eat a lot of anyway so there won't be a shortage of carrots or spinach or anything else. As for the meats I vaguely remember chicken feet along with things like end cuts of turkey, beef (oxtail if da was feeling generous) and some cooked fish and eggs.

I've never had a lurcher so I'd be worried about causing weight gain and any advice on a feeding schedule/amounts for this type of dog on a similar diet would be welcome. Hoping there's some folks with experience in this!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭itsusuallyjazz

If you're on FB there are tons of groups on there to advise you

Check out Dogs first website

The local Irish FB group is https://www.facebook.com/groups/1444315825805092/?ref=share

Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

I’ve been feeding a raw diet / fresh feeding diet for over 10 years now ..

try reading this book I found it a great all rounder for feeding .. it’s not strict strict raw feeding but gives great advice for all dog owners whether you feed raw, kibble or fresh food ..

I agree the dogs first website is also great for advice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭circadian

Thanks folks, top stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 IceT
    Owner of Irish Canine Education & Training

I feed my guys this from Fetch your pet needs

Any dog will benefit from a raw diet unless they have some kind of rare condition. However there is no denying that it can get expensive, there is no harm in feeding them a good quality kibble in a 50/50 mix for one meal and then supplementing with veg for another. it will be a good healthy diet. I'd been recommended by my vet Flex seed oil in for general health and helps their coat too, I found it made a good difference so I have kept it up.

Cow knee joints are great too, careful wil shin bones and the like, they maybe too hard and can end up with chipped teeth.

Advertisement