Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Partner has serious health condition - pros and cons of telling employer

Options
  • 14-01-2023 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭

Hi Boardsies

Many thanks for the great advice all, really appreciated.

I'm good at my job, but when it comes to office politics or any such smarts, i am not the curliest machiavelli in the pasta box, so to speak.

My partner has a serious health condition - I was in complete shock when we got the diagnosis and told my manager. Thankfully, after treatment it looks like we are out of the woods for the foreseeable.

Does anyone know how employers tend view such a disclosure? If there are cuts, would it make me higher on the list to go? Or less eligible for a better role?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,070 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

It the risk of asking the obvious, why do you think it would a difference to your employer, if you are continuing to work as normal? Are you having to take a lot of time off or has your performance suffered?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭notAMember

In my experience it will work in your favour to be open and transparent.

As a manager, I had an employee come to me with family issues up front, and we were able to adjust the workload, be more flexible when needed and make allowances.

In the same period, I had another member of team start disappearing without notice, be distracted and snippy with people, quality of work dropped.

I pressed it with the second employee and eventually figured out they were supporting an elderly parent and needed the same flexibilty so we adjusted. But for a less experienced manager, who do you think would be getting a better review, or on the line for cuts?

Managers are human too, their job is to support you. Give them the info they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

A lot depends on the manager and the organisation culture.

In theory, you shouldn't have to bare your soul to get some flexibility. You should be able to say 'family issues' and explain what kind of flexibility you need, and take it from there.

In reality, you may be more likely to get a good response if you can reveal some details. You might want to consider whether you can trust your manager to maintain confidentiality, or will they be blabbing to their boss and everyone else about your family business.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Esho

• Advertisement

Advertisement