Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Band saw mill

Options
  • 13-01-2023 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi folks,

Has anybody on here purchased a band saw mill and if so, could there be a resonable payback time on the purchase price?

Also, what type of sawn products could be most easily sold?

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

Hello AfricaT

I have one. Just a wee one, wasn't too dear, payback time .... depends how you measure it. I got my money back from a big pile of larch logs I turned into fence posts in about 6 weeks, of course I already had the larch on hand, and this does not include any wages or anything like that, simply the time required to saw about 7k worth of fence posts.

It was a steep enough learning curve getting on top of sharpening band blades properly.

Mine has a 750mm max log diameter and can saw about 600mm wide between the guides.

tim

send a pm for a chat,or further info.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 AfricaTwin

Thanks Tim.

Could I ask two further questions of you please.

1. What features would be a must have have for a reasonably priced sawmill

2. What is the min smaller end diameter of larch poles which would be worth sawing on a mill like yours?

Thanks 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

1. simplicity and durability, no bells and whistles, strongly built.
    2. depending on log length, product etc, hard to answer. perhaps 150mm for longer logs, and 200mm for shorter ones.

tim

Advertisement