Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Orthodontists force teeth in a vertical manner too?

Options
  • 13-01-2023 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Is it possible to pull the teeth down? I'd imagine most of the braces that are put in are designed to give horizontal forces. What I'd like (or at least what I think I'd need) is for my upper teeth to be pulled down, so that they are more visible. I have apparently grinded about 10% of them away. Perhaps my lips extends lower than most people's too which also causes them to be somewhat hidden. The other option is build them up. I had this done to my canines last year. My dentist said that in itself should reduce the amount of wear from grinding. I do have a little bit of over-crowding which could be sorted too.

I will be asking for a new night guard at my next dental visit, but the other thing I'm wondering about is how can protection from grinding be given when one has braces? They have to keep making new moulds??!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,025 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

No, you cannot pull all of your upper teeth down as your biting force would act in the opposite direction as the appliance. If you have worn a substantial amount of the teeth structure away, you may need to have ceramic crowns placed on your teeth to correct the lengths. Sometimes composite can be used to build up the teeth, but it tends to wear down/fracture over time unless the occlusion/dysfunction/grinding is also treated.

You may benefit from the opinion of a Prosthodontist.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Rosalinda Eyes

Sorry, I didn't mean for "all" of them to be pulled down, just one or two. I had a consultation with my dentist the other day. He does invisalign but not braces. He said teeth can be moved up and down. As I'm going ahead with the invisalign (I need my bite corrected anyway) I'm thinking I might have my lateral incisor on one side only brought down a bit. He said we can go through it all a discuss the exact type of smile.

I don't know if what you said about one's biting force opposing it makes sense because you're not biting 24/7. Just a thought.

Advertisement