Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sheep grazing rights in national parks

• 13-01-2023 11:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭

I notice that sheep farmers seem to have free access for their herds to graze Wicklow National Park and Nephin in MW Mayo. Presumably this applies to all the national parks and Coillte land too. Any idea why ? Some historical right of access? Same applies to Croagh Patrick which I know is not a national park ...but should be.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Timfy

I cannot speak definitively about the specific examples given but certainly in my corner of North West Connemara much of the designated National Parklands are still under private ownership. The slopes of Mweelrea, areas of the Maumturks and Party mountains as well as the Connemara National park itself would fall under Commonage laws, with multiple sheep farmers having access to the areas, following fairly strict rules of total flock numbers and animal density etc

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭getoutadodge

Txs for that. Any idea how these "commonage Laws " work....with a view to ending them. There should be no commercial grazing in a national park I would have thought....or the landscape can never recover from a century plus of overgrazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Ahem, did you not ask the sheep what they think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Packrat

Another - "let's try to steal someone else's private property because I'm too poor/lazy to get my own" thread.

Yawn. Won't be happening.

Edit to add: Most national parks strictly prohibit domestic animal grazing as do Coilte, so you presume wrong

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

Is commonage private property ?

Not so thick question is it.

Eventually grazing will be banned in many areas, it will happen sooner or later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭getoutadodge

I found this so far on commonages. Wow.,,,a million acres of it countrywide. All private property. Seems the National Parks have to tread lightly in this matter...otherwise adios national park. The National Parks are in effect tenants to be tolerated. Any overt griping about grazing etc etc ...and you're out. It explains much about the lack of ambition of the NPWS.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/there-is-little-common-ground-on-irelands-commonages-and-a-one-size-fits-all-approach-wont-work/

Advertisement