Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Browser tells me I've entered my Debit card CVC code wrong!

Options
  • 12-01-2023 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Anyone else familiar with this when entering their debit card details? It happens when the browser remembers your details. You enter your CVC code and it tells you you've got it wrong even though you've entered it right! I have to enter the whole thing manually in order to get it to work!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

Clear the Chrome's stored credit cards and start again. You've likely stored it with the wrong CCV.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Electric Gypsy

Well actually chrome stores everything except the CVC! It remembers the rest of the details correctly.

It knows your CCV and is using it to verify that you are the card holder. You need to remove the card from Google Pay and re-add it.

I'm not sure if that's right. I know the CVC of by heart and it makes me enter it. I'm not using google pay... or at least I didn't think I was using google pay.

Anyway, not the end of the World.

It literally says Google Pay on your screenshot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

Any chance you're selecting a credit card from a list in Google chrome first? This happens me when I have an old/previous/expired card saved in chrome, and I select it by accident, and then I type in the CVC number of the new card which has been issued to me. Try type in the credit card number manually, along with the expiry date. In other words, don't Auto-fill anything.

Also, is the card active yet? Sometimes you need to use it in a shop or ATM before you can use it online.

I have used this card with chrome before and it has remembered it. But I'm still on the same card. Seems strange.

I just manually enter these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 patsfan1286

Merchants can't store the 3 digit CVC. Google is checking it with the issuing bank, not what they have on file.

The CCV is verified by Google Pay, but without the Google Pay system / infrastructure being aware of the number. It uses a verification step with the bank, but it won't authorise anything until it's been cleared.

If there's something glitching with Google Pay, often the best approach is to remove the card details and start again by adding the card again. Something's not authorising for some reason at the bank's side.

If that doesn't work, you need to talk to your bank / card issuer. It's possible your card's blocked or there may be a temporary issue with the service too.

Was your card reissued?

Also, it's very unusual for a typo to occur in a card number as there's a check digit, so it's a simple formula (Luhn algorithm) checks that the number makes sense before it even processes anything at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭pah

I've had this issue recently - worked fine up until a few months ago, now ggogle pay on my browser is acting the prick, tried a combo of removing and readding cards and still acting the prick. I just type it in manually, have it memorised now

• Advertisement
Advertisement