Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where to source BMW headlight? (Recommendations)

• 12-01-2023 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

So I'm looking for a replacement headlight for an F31 LED adaptive headlight. Headlight works fine apart from daytime running lights, one side is burnt out so not as brightly lit at nighttime it's fine.

I've tried Autohaus they have none in stock. Autodocs have a one none OEM are they normally decent?

Ideally I wanted one pre used because I would be most likely OEM and because my car is a 171 plate and figured a brand new one would be to obvious next to the older headlight.

I could get an OEM one but at 1,900 I find it hard to stomach for a headlight.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭User1998

Try Partfinder or check Donedeal’s breaking & repairable section and call a few scrapyards

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭pmurphy00

Frank Wyse Clogheen 052-65239 breaks mainly BMW.

i sourced a headlight for my e92 from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

There is a chap near me who codes BMW's He goes under M Coding on facebook. He sometimes has lamps for sale and may be worth a call. Hes based in Clonmel Co, Tipp

Actually thinking of it, Wyses garage in Clogheen Co. Tipp break BMW's almost exclusively so Id be surprised if he doesnt have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I know someone who had a similar issue on an F30 and it was just a driver or something screwed into the back of the headlight that ran the DRL

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Unfortunately it's not that. I changed the LED module and it failed to fix it and was told when they had the headlight out it looked like the LED within the lights had burnt out. Hence why one side was bright white other side almost yellow on the daytime running lights.

When I first got the car water got in the headlight and I had it repaired under warranty along with two control modules being replaced due to water damage. I think this is knock on damage from that.

Im going to try Wyses garage see if they have one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭Goose81

With the crazy prices of these headlights in modern cars surprised there aren't companies that can fix them, like the electronic places that mechanics would send faulty modules to that would resolder them etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Does anyone know would it fail an NCT for it?

Neither breakers have it, my car was very highly specced from now so it seems to be hard to get a headlight for it.

NCT isn't due till April but trying to get ahead it will be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭User1998

I’d imagine they would pass as long as parking bulbs and headlight bulbs are working

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Arnout

I believe that on recent cars, DRL are also mandatory. Although I don't have the regulations handy to confirm that.

But even if it's not: if optional lights are on the car (and working) it should work on both sides, except where only one light suffices (such as reverse light and rear fog light).

Advertisement