Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Troubleshooting a dish/box problem

• 12-01-2023 12:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭

I'm running two Zgemma H7S boxes. Last night they both stopped receiving satellite channels (Saorview is fine). I thought it might have been related to the bad weather and left it to today to troubleshoot.

Checking this morning and it seems some of the channels are back, though a lot are still missing. Looking at the dish from the ground there doesn't appear to be any obvious damage, but I'm not sure if there's any loose cables.

I did an automatic scan and 551 channels were found, I think this is usually higher. Last scanned is showing a lot of channels as <n/a>.

If it helps, some of the missing channels are BBC 1 + 2 HD, ITV 3 + 4 HD (and +1s), Channel 4 HD (+1), E4 +1, Film4 +1, More4, Dave (+1). Channels that aren't missing include BBC News HD, BBC 4, BBC RB, ITV 1 + 2 HD (and +1s), E4, More 4 +1, Film 4, Channel 5 suite.

As it's affecting both boxes I'm assuming it's an alignment or LNB problem? It's a Sky dish that's up a few years. During the summer when I was last on the roof only the wall bracket looked a little corroded, the dish itself seemed OK. I usually share settings and channel lists across both boxes using E-Channelizer, but not recently enough for them both to stop working at the same time.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Since it is upsetting both boxes, I would guess the dish has moved slightly. A few mm is all it takes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Got a loan of a ladder and went to check on the dish. All cables seem seated correctly and there's no obvious movement on the dish or bracket.

Rather than just realigning for the sake of it and possibly making things worse, is there a way to determine what adjustment is needed? Either based on the channels missing or by using Signal Finder or similar on the box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭MenloPete

Just a quick look at the list seems to suggest you are missing Vertical channels - but you should check that out more thoroughly by looking at Astra 2E/2F/2G at 28.2°E - LyngSat

If that is indeed the case then I'd suspect the LNB itself is faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jack12a

Hi,

some time ago I lost some channels like your experiencing, it turned that on the lnb there was a hairline crack in the white plastic dome that faced back at the dish, this allowed water ingress into electric’s, might be worth a close inspection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

@jack12a I did actually notice a slight crack in the same spot today, so hopefully a new LNB will sort my problem.

Thanks all for the help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement