Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which external drive reader will work with this 2006 hard drive?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,071 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

That should work. It's just an old fashioned SATA 3.5 inch, nothing exotic there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,071 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

There are other cheaper options, such as the simpler SATA to USB cable adapters. Do you need regular/constant access to the drive?

And I presume you don't have a desktop you could stick it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭bonkers

Went with the one above in the end but unfortunately the drive aint showing for me, despite it sounding like its running fine

Actually a Disk 1 shows up in disk management that is near the 250gb this drive is, it disappears when i turn off the hard drive reader thing.

States its healthy and in good conditon but cant find it anywhere else

I

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

It just doesnt have letter assigned

• Advertisement

Right click on 228.32 GB Healthy (....) , then "Change Drive letter....", then "Add", select one available (not A , B )

yea wont give me that option either delete volume or convert to dynamic disc?

Its not on "Disk 1" you clicking aren't you , the actual partition "228.32GB ......", because there is no option to "convert..." in this menu, there is if you do on disk.

You could try...

run CMD or powershell in Admin mode:

type commands and hit Enter after each:

diskpart

List disk

select disk 1 # disk number that correspond to 250GB (careful here !, you need select right disk)

list part

select partition 5 # here you select partition number that correspond to size 228.32GB

assign letter=g

Check your disk manager and/or file explorer after this - disk should appear under letter G

Thanks for all the advice by the way.

Had tried the partitions and right clicking them earlier and no joy, same with cmd as after i follow your reccomendations i get "that arguments specified for this command are not valied. for more info on the command type: help assign

tried it also on the disk 1 and assign letter-g - same as above.

• Advertisement

arguments specified for this command are not valid

double check, try different letter:

assign=t

replicating error - in my case letter T is given to other drive already

option to try:

Create folder on your C:\ drive , call it "250Drive", so path to it is "C:\250Drive" (in my case is drive R:\)

then in CMD:

diskpart

list volume

select volume 5 #volume number corresponding to 250GB drive

assign mount="C:\250Drive"

see if this makes it accessible in that folder, folder should change to link icon

Unfortunately this aint working.

Wont allow me assign on a disk or a partition, asks me to choose a volume and the only volumes that show up are from the main computer disk 0 so not what i need

only other thing i can find that might point to the issue is this within properties/events of the disk drive in disk management?

Device settings for SCSI\Disk&Ven_SABRENT&Prod_\6&cc60372&0&000000 were not migrated from previous OS installation due to partial or ambiguous device match.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Try a Linux boot usb and avoid Windows arcane disk assignment entirely.

The disk may be corrupt, though

Oh well. looks like third party tools and/or independent OS needed.

You should take copy of raw disk, then "play" with copy if you have value on that disk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭niallb

Where did the disk come from?

What are you expecting to find on it?

If it was in a DVR or a games console you're unlikely to read it. If it was a Mac or something obscure a Linux bootable disk will likely read it.

Came from a dell desktop from about 2007

It has mp3s from the 90s on it - hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭dontmindme

Are you saying when you enter 'list disk' in DiskPart, this disk is not listed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭niallb

If the disk came from a Dell desktop, the format is not likely to be the problem.

When you get the interface right you should be able to see it.

Disks from that time need a fair bit of power.

The USB caddy you've linked to above should provide plenty power though. Is that the exact model you're using?

If it is that model, does whatever you're plugging it into also support UASP SCSI connections?

If it's a blue USB 3.0 port on a Windows 10 computer it probably will, otherwise it might not!

partition layout/size (posted earlier, if it was actual) does not seam resemble Windows

• Advertisement

It came from a Dell, and they tend to have a diagnostics partition, which may explain the over complex partition layout.

Acknowledged, but would i be wrong assuming even Dell would put their part to OS drive , unlikely on storage . Windows (OS) on its own would have their system partitions (sized in MB, not GB), hense - not resembling.

Anyway, for OP to confirm..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You could try to bypass partitions and such by using https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec PhotoRec ignores the file system; this way it works even if the file system is severely damaged.

hmm, this actually might have been more recently used in a synology diskstation 212j or at least attempted to be used.

downloaded photorec and it shows this - might jsut take the whole thing into town tomorrow and drop into a disk recovery place

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

RAID may be a showstopper. If it's RAID 0 then the 0 refers to the exact number of files you can recover without having the other disk. :(

If it's RAID 1 then both drives are the same (mirror) and photorec should be able to find and copy mp3's to a different drive but it doesn't look for filenames.

http://www.fs-driver.org/index.html - this should allow you to assign a drive letter in windows if the drives used EXT3 or you can make a bootable Linux USB key https://puppylinux-woof-ce.github.io/ is basic but it's only 300MB

That changes a lot of things then. Was the RAID set fully initialised? Or was it just inserted and you didn't get anywhere with it? Can you remember what steps were taken when it was in the NAS?

Advertisement