Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Phone at storage limit

Options
  • 09-01-2023 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Got my mum a Xiaomi Redmi 7A that is running MIUI 12.5.3.

14.9GB of the 16 Gb internal storage limit is used. I can't really see what as there is very little on the phone.

I've diverted all the photos and suchlike to the SD card.

There are only a few apps she has added - BBC news, rte news, what's app, wordscapes and solitaire.

I can't see why this phone is at its limit. Any idea what I can do to free up more space. It is rarely used and is certainly not heavily used.

I'm wondering if there some caches that have never been cleared out. I've run the cleaner numerous times and cleaned the Internet browsing history, but there must be something I overlooked. It was fine at the start but has been like this for a number of months now.

Any help appreciated.

Screen grabs below.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

The problem is that the system and apps chew up the storage and realistically, 16gb is way to small to run nowadays. 64gb or even 128gb would be minimal I'd advise anyone to get. Android was changed to no longer allow using apps from SD cards, so even a large sd card would not solve your issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,909 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

No answer I'm afraid OP, but my wife and daughter both have the same Redmi phones as each other (I think it's a redmi 8), with similar app use yet time and again my wife's phone is low on storage. No idea why, and doing all the things you've done, haven't fixed it for any length of time, even a factory reset and starting again have done fupp all.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

So is new handset time then? :(

I've only just got her used to a smartphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

16GB on a smartphone should be illegal these days considering how much of it is used by the operating system.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

True. It was released in May 2019 so even then 16GB was feck all. 128GB should be minimum you should consider now as 64gb would even be borderline for most people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,517 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

16GB is unusable. TBH it was unusable in 2019 when they released this mobile.

Post edited by Flinty997 on

What would be a decent replacement for it?

Should I be avoiding phones that are packaged with Android 11?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

http://www.adverts.ie/28427139. It's as new

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

No. Only higher end phones are due to get 12/13. 11 will be fine. Just make sure it has at least 64gb/128gb storage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I had bought the 9 and find it slow going through the motions finding contacts to load and camera . I have many photos of things i might want to sell but can very easy move photos to my email account to clear out if needed.

I do find it keeps on updating apps i have never heard of or used.

Is there any point getting the Poco X4 Pro 5G ahead of the Redmi Note 11 Pro?

Poco X4 - 5G connectivity. Snapdragon 695. 6GB + 128GB. 67W charging. Gorilla Glass 5. £259

Redmi 11 Pro - Helio G96. 6GB + 128GB. 67W charging. £249

Redmi 11 - Snapdragon 680. 4GB + 128GB. 33W charging. £169

OnePlus Nord CE 2 Lite - 5G connectivity. Snapdragon 695. 6GB + 128GB. 33W charging. £239

Really looks like Poco5G is better value that the 11 Pro. Question is whether it is worth it ahead of the Redmi 11.

Thoughts - or are there any better alternatives to these (moto-g 82 5g)?

Post edited by funkey_monkey on

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,517 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Do any of them have ads. That's a thing these days.

@Flinty997 no idea. I'll see if I can find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

If you use Spotify,go to the settings in the app and way down the bottom you should see the storage. Clear the cache. I bet you'll save a gig or two at least. My phone is 256GB and it's up to 10

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭windowcills

To make space on the phone in the op just disable the built in apps, as things like google play books, google text to speech cant be uninstalled, but it probably got an updated version also taking up space, so disable it and it will delete the update and cache and prevent it reinstalling

Instead of and sd card use google photos to backup and store photos and videos, so they can be deleted and still viewed on the phone, and are safetly backed up, seen a few fake sd cards so i would avoid them

Post edited by windowcills on

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mct1

I'm on my third Moto G in 10 years - excellent phones for the price, bought from Amazon. Current one is the G9 Play - 2+ years old 64GB storage of which 44GB is used. If buying now I wouldn't even consider less than 128GB. This 2023 review may help https://www.techradar.com/news/best-moto-phones. The G82 you mention is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,560 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So you change your phone every 3.3333 years then? That's hardly good going? I hope you recycle.

I agree that a phone these days needs at least 128gb.

I have a Samsung and it only has 32Gb and it struggles especially with my Whats-App getting full. Next one will be bigger and better in every way.

I will just wait till this one dies first.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement