Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance claim

• 09-01-2023 6:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

A bit of context here. The insured was burgled with some items taken and minor damage to property. The insured had a house alarm fitted but was not working and I believe there was a discount on the insurance premium based on this fact.

The insurance company states that they are not liable for any claim as the claim is in breech of terms and conditions.

Quite simply should this be taken to a solicitor to fight or is this a waste of time?

Thanks

Neil

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

The terms and conditions of the policy would be the first port of call.

Sometimes a situation which you describe would give rise to a higher excess, but wouldn’t entirely invalidate the burglary cover.

What approximately would be the value of the damage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

One presumes that the insurance premium was reduced as a result of an alarm being fitted.

The alarm went faulty but the insurance company was not informed.

I'm afraid it does not look good. My insurance policy clearly states that the alarm must be in working order and set when the house is unoccupied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Thanks Guys appreciate the responses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭phormium

This is why I would never take the discount for an alarm even if I had one, not worth it as sure as hell someone will have left it off the one time it was needed to be on! Used to work in insurance and we always warned people about the risks of accepting a discount in that scenario but then that was back in the days of talking to a human in an office to arrange insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭MikeCairo78

As above - I work in insurance and though have an alarm fitted to my own house ,I dont take the discount(it is normally of the order of 5%-10% and just not worth it.) Different policies have different wordings - some have best endeavours(you will do your best to ensure the alarm was on) - most have the strict endorsement applied - alarm must be put on whenever the house is not occupied - if it isnt, then any claim for a theft and resulting damage will be unsuccessful. Depending on the amount of the claim and how it was placed(through a broker / direct / online), you could appeal etc etc, the Consumer Insurance Contracts Act 2019 have tilted matters somewhat in favour of the consumer, though if papers were received and acknowledged noting the discount, am afraid there might be little chance of success.

• Advertisement
Advertisement