Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A man called Otto.

• 09-01-2023 11:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭

Went to see this at the weekend with a 13yr old.

We had no idea what it was about.

We both really enjoyed it - laughed, and it has quite sad moments throughout. Tender moments.

Another top performance from Tom Hanks. A cold heart being slowly melted.

Also, he was NEARLY upstaged with a great performance (although a mite stereotypical) from Marian Trevino!

(BEWARE- the trailer gives away quite a bit... )

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭sporina

i plan to go to see this - read the book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭deisedude

I enjoyed it even if I know its formulaic. Some good laughs and tearjerking moments. Overall a nice heartwarming film

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭sporina

does it require a big screen or would watching it at home suffice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Not seen this one but the original swedish film was really enjoyable

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

That's the remake of "A man called Ove", which was originally a book by Fredrik Backman, surely. The book was very, very, very good.

I don't get why Americans have to remake perfectly good European films. Too hard dubbing them or getting the public to read subtitles?

Sorry, I'm grumpy today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭santana75

Saw it last week and I really enjoyed it. I'd agree with the comments about Marian Trevino...........she is absolutely brilliant, the real heart and soul of the film, I'd say the same for the guy playing her husband Tommy, he's really good. Its very predictable stuff but the acting raises it above the usual.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Had read the book on which it's based, some years ago which I loved, so went to see this.

I really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I went and seen it today. My only complaint is it was not as funny as I thought it might be but otherwise a very heartwarming and moving film but also a sad film. I would watch it again no problem. Its films like this the have feeling that make watching films great not the heartless no soul rubbish like Avatar.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭BalboBiggins

I really hated this. I found the characters and writing two dimensional and it made me cringe quite often. I'm surprised Hanks signed up for this.

Advertisement