Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jan van Eyck VS Leonardo da Vinci

Options
  • 07-01-2023 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I'm posting this in the After Hours forum because I want to know what the average person, who might not be as au fait about Art history, thinks of these works and who they believe is the greater painter.

I know they were born over 60 years apart, and both have quite different oeuvres, but if you had to pick one, who would you say was the greater painter?

Below are attached images of their work. The top three are by Van Eyck, the bottom three are by Leonardo.

Works by Jan van Eyck:

"Portrait of a man (Self portrait?)". Oil on panel.

"Drawing of an old man". Silverpoint on prepared paper.

"Madonna of Joris van der Paele". Oil on panel.

Works by Leonardo da Vinci:

"La Scapigliata". Oil on panel.

"The Virgin and Child with Saint Anne". Oil on panel.

"Mona Lisa". Oil on panel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,742 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Always loved the Jan Van one with the couple posing and you can see Jan's reflection in the little mirror. It was in my leaving cert art book.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

Van Eyck had incredible details in his paintings. In the Ghent altarpiece the monks are holding manuscripts on which the text is legible.

The Mona Lisa is really small in real life, and no the monster artifact portrayed in Glass Onion. Just sayin'

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I know nothing about art. I have no particular interest in it beyond appreciating a beautiful piece of work and being impressed by the creative talent and skill of artists.

To me they're both obviously very talented artists. And it seems da Vinci was a real genius in more than just his art. But personally I find Van Eyck's work appeals to me more.

From the moment I first saw The Arnolfini Portrait in my Junior Cert History book chapter on the Renaissance, I was in awe of the detail in his work and the beautiful vivid colour pops. When I went to see it in person I was just as impressed.

The Mona Lisa was not impressive in real life, though I don't doubt the quality of it as judged by experts - and of course the circumstances of how you have to view it in such overcrowded surroundings no doubt affects your appreciation.

So for me it's Van Eyck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Not much between them, two of the best painters ever but their best work would still only be worth €100 at most, art is ridiculously overrated

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Purple_Bear

I believe Van Eyck is the greater painter. His paintings are far more compelling than Leonard's. The Italian's work, looks like that of a dilettante, in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

But who would win in a fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I suppose it would really depend on which of them provided the nicer frame. You might pay over the €100 for that.

Advertisement