Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 x Telephoto Lens Options

Options
  • 06-01-2023 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭

I have been researching at great length my options for a new Telephoto lens. I have looked at Sigma, Tamron and Nikon lenses and read dozens of reviews and watched many video reviews. I want to stick with the Nikon branded lenses and have narrowed it down to 3. A couple are second-hand, the other can be purchased new. I would like to get people's opinions on these three options. Two more expensive ones are at the very max of my budget. I will be using the lens mostly for GAA sports photography. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR (Older lens)

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G IF-ED VR

Nikkor AF-S 200-500mm F5.6 ED VR (New)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bipboppityboo

I have the Sigma 150-600 which I use on my Nikon Z6. Its a fantastic lens other than the fact its quite heavy. I paid 749 euro second hand for it in Conns. I really don't think you need to spend anywhere near what you are looking at to photograph what you want to photograph. I would recommend you rent all three lenses and then make a decision based on which one you like the photos from the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭CyberDave

Thanks for your feedback. I have looked at that Sigma lens also, it seems very good. I have a 80-200mm F2.8 lens, which I get some great shots with, but all depends on where the play is on any given game. I just need the extra reach. I agree, I think renting them is the next step.

Advertisement