Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric fence for dogs

Options
  • 05-01-2023 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭

Hi thinking of getting a Kelpie cross here at the moment i was just wondering are the electric fences any good for keeping in this type of dog? Theyll have a fair area to run around however im living beside a busy main road and the last thing i want to happen is for the dog to get hit by a car. Ive seen them on dogs before but im just looking for reassurance really as the last thing i want doing is getting a dog and they end up suffering after a traffic accident.

Better living everyone

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

In short, they won't keep them in, but they might keep them out.

A kelpie is a dog with a strong prey drive and an instinctive desire to herd. If your dog is outside and sees a cat, rabbit, fox, whatever - they'll likely chase it. And they'll be so focused on the chase that the fence won't phase them in the moment, but when they return home, they will be reluctant to cross it and may remain lost. It also won't stop them getting hit by a car for the same reason - if they start chasing, they're off. If the battery dies, the collar will stop working. You also need to put a lot of work into training dogs about the perimeter.

Unless you can properly secure your garden, you'll struggle to allow any dog off lead I'd say.

Advertisement