Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clunking on rear axel when cornering after brakes done

Options
  • 05-01-2023 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some advice on possible reasons for this.

Car was in for a service and handbrake needed work. The car was "fixed" but a check engine light came on the next day and break warning light when cornering - so I phoned the garage and had to bring it back in, the brake light issue resolved at least its not happening any longer -- the brake fluid needed topped up. Engine light not fixed but was told it was OK to drive and to book it in again for them to fix...

Roll forward a few weeks (car hasnt been driven much during xmas and new years) I am driving the car and I notice when cornering there is a clunk on the left rear axel. The car doesn't look like its sagging on one side so I dont think its a spring that's gone...

Now perhaps the clunk is unrelated and co-incidentally has appeared right after the brakes were done. I have to phone the garage to arrange the engine light fix and I'm going to ask them to take a look at this too just would like to know whether it could be something relating to the original repair.

The car is a Peugeot 207 1.4 HDI (2008) - brake shoes, brake cylinders and brake cable were changed.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

Possibly some kind of bushing is worn out on the axle causing the clunk.

Might have been on the way out anyway but when the car was raised off its wheels to do the brakes the wheels/suspension drop down lower than normal and this might have dislodged the worn out bushing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Thanks for the input, yep my feelings. The joy of aging cars !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Just to give an update. Car was in last Friday and it was picked it up on Monday.

They said it was the drop links that were the problem but couldn't get the part in time so fix. Fair enough...

But the check engine light issue is still present, it was obviously cleared because it wasn't there but after a few ignition cycles it came back on. Getting to be a bit of a joke at this stage. Ill phone them to find out what was actually done to it.

NCT is due in March - engine lights are a automatic fail or?

Advertisement