Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I saw that- doesn’t appear they’ve applied for planning permission yet which is odd. Sounds like they’re just sitting on the site for now

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭jimmythesulk

A disaster for Kilkenny. This can only take away from High Street and McDonagh Junction, whenever they build it. No doubt it will be one of the larger Tesco stores with clothes, electronics, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Quitelife

I agree - we will hear of Tesco creating 70/80 new jobs ( most minimum wage or just above it ) . Meanwhile a number of local stores will let staff go or close down altogether leading to 70/80 job losses elsewhere from local retailers.

tesco shareholders in the UK be the real benefactors

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭batman75

My understanding is they might find it hard to get planning. Sounds like they bought the site on an assumption which may prove to have been premature. Time will tell!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Anything new on this? Will it actually be that bad for Kilkenny? Kilkenny already has 2 Dunnes, 2 Aldis, 2 Lidls and 2 Super Valu stores. How many people in Kilkenny travel to Tesco in Waterford or Carlow? They might just stay in Kilkenny now instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭cloudhopper19

I see a FOR SALE sign has been put up on the site again. So maybe Tesco have already given up on the idea allowing another site in Kilkenny to sit empty.

The council want to levy a vacant site tax on them- I can see both sides here to a degree - why waste a fortune on a site doing nothing but at the same time Tesco or whoever should just get on with developing it. Sitting on a valuable site like that serves no purpose to the public interest.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Site sitting empty isn't good but also agree with the above, Tesco opening isn't good for a place either. It will lead to the closing and reduction of staff in other locations. Not only that but it will increase traffic because it will be a car centric development...thats something we want to move away from.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

I hear Tesco are putting a small store into the old Argos on High st.

Super valu are not surprisingly closing their horrendous Market cross supermarket. The decline of this place since it was Superquinn was sad and inevitable to watch. The odd time I go in there’s a really bad smell. I thought that would be ideal for Tesco

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Yes and watch high Street become much like many other high streets throughout the country, with lots of empty units.

Tesco will destroy our high street.

High st not exactly in great shape. Not sure how leaving units idle vs a small supermarket that will bring back activity would make it better.

Super valu could do well but the store was just so badly managed and run. I gave up shopping there and I used to be a loyal customer

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭cloudhopper19

Kilkeny high street isn't exactly something to be proud of at the moment with all the vape shops, phone repair shops. So Tesco express going into an empty shop unit is a welcome development in creating jobs that would not otherwise be created.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Just wait till we get a bigger Tesco, it'll take jobs from elsewhere

Wonder might Tesco take the soon to close Super valu unit? Surely it’s ready made for them and takes away any claims of taking business out of town

Thought it was already confirmed they are taking the Argos store as well as the site opposite the cinema to build on.

It was but I wonder might they reconsider on financial grounds?

I guess if they are going ahead with this they won’t consider the market cross unit

Article about super valu and how they’re under pressure- not surprising too expensive and gone way down hill especially the formers Superquinn stores

https://www.thejournal.ie/supervalu-stores-closed-6224210-Nov2023/

Not to mention the fact that the more often you shop in super valu , the worse the vouchers get. The best I get from my real rewards card that I’ve had for years is 5 off 35 whereas my mother who doesn’t shop there much gets 5 off 25 sent by text to her phone and 10 off 40 vouchers in her app.

• Advertisement

I don’t shop that much in SV and gave up on the market cross one a long time ago when they ditched the hours free parking and the store itself went way way down hill and became utter rubbish. But I only get €5 off €35 which is ok for me as I’d rarely be spending that much there anyhow. Even the Loughboy one ditched the fresh deli meat slicers and helpfully direct you to pre packed stuff. Dunnes have them licked hallow, I’d expect more of them will close around the country too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

Funny enough I was in Kilkenny recently and was amazed to see Supervalu closed It's difficult to see how it could have failed to attract customers given its location.

It was an utterly crap store- absolutely nothing to entice you in. And like all SVs very expensive. Really badly run and out of date. Was great when it was Superquinn. Musgraves can only survive with minimal competition- Dunnes down the street is infinitely better

Advertisement