Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Qualifying as a Teacher in mid 30s

• 04-01-2023 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭

Things are not going so good in work and contemplating the future I feel like primary teaching might be something that would interest me.

I would be 36/37 qualifying however and I’m wondering given this is it an unrealistic plan? Aside from missing out on pensionable service years would someone that age find it difficult to get work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

You'd have no trouble finding work. Over the last twenty years there's been a big change in primary teaching. Loads of NQTs in their thirties and even forties.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Are there any resources to brush up on Irish fir the entry exam? I did higher level Irish but done my leaving 12 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Daffodil12

I retrained to become a primary teacher and qualified at 40. I'm now in the third year of teaching and I love it. I'm so glad I did it. I have never had a problem getting work but I'm not permanent yet. That's the hard bit. I hadn't studied Irish since I did my Leaving cert and took grinds for the Irish Interview. It was tough but doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

I'd suggest you use the 2 or 3 years to get into a higher-earning career and not be beguiled by the long holidays on paper. Just how many teachers can afford to use all those holidays as holidays? When you have to hand over almost €400 for an hour-long meeting with a solicitor, for instance, it's a rude awakening on your 'value' in society. These years are precious. If you're going to spend a few of them getting a qualification, get one which will help you expand your financial independence in your 50s and 60s.

Do the maths regarding house prices. Find the salary of a primary school teacher online (probably on the INTO website - at least the secondary salary is on the ASTI website), and multiply that salary by 3.5 times to see what sort of mortgage you can get. And then see where in Ireland you could buy a home for that price. And then see what jobs are there (guideline: the more populous areas have more younger children, and therefore more teaching jobs and higher house prices).

And then when you get your dream teaching job in a dream location, somebody in school management will be able to decide what you teach and a whole load of other things. Indeed, if you're going into teaching now out of grá for the vocational side of things, don't be any bit surprised if you're just another manager of people in ten years time - if only to protect yourself from having your timetable decided by other people. And that defeats the purpose of doing an actual 'teaching' job. If you're looking for more career freedom, while teaching is usually better than office-politics-heavy jobs, there are better jobs for career freedom.

PS: It's not "unrealistic" at all to change career at this age. Mid-30s are the new late teens. You're probably going to be working until your 75, so buckle up now for our pension timebomb and living until 110 years of age!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

And you'll find houses pretty affordable, even on the starting salaries. Cynically, the INTO have chosen to hide the salary scale within the past year. Why would that be?

Take a couple that are two teachers on the starting salary (and that's the worst case scenario because seemingly it appears from this forum every other profession is paid better .. ?) 38000*2*3.5 = €266,000 plus deposit makes the median house price of €300,000 very affordable indeed. And that's just starting. For the couple of teachers 5 or 10 years in, it is very very affordable.

• Advertisement

Indeed. A quick google and the salary scale for primary is in the first result: https://www.gov.ie/pdf/?file=https://assets.gov.ie/200098/c17623ae-8163-4f09-9af0-59c6294d39b6.pdf#page=null

From that, the starting salary is €36,290. €36,390 x 3.5 times one's salary = €127,365. So, show us this amazing house in Dublin that somebody can buy with a mortgage of €127,365.

Why would a single person, on a starting salary, be looking to buy a whole house for themselves in Dublin unless they had a significant deposit? Could any profession afford that?

In any case here are apartments for that single person within commuting distance to Dublin if they are so inclined.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭Treppen

And the troll drags off topic yet again.

Are you calling gaiscioch a troll? Because it is that person who introduced the topic of house prices into the thread.

I merely responded to provide corrections and backed up my argument using published facts and figures.

But since I challenge the status quo, and you seem unable to provide your own facts and figures to refute my point, it seems like you need to resort to petty name calling.

"And you'll find houses pretty affordable, even on the starting salaries."

"Why would a single person, on a starting salary, be looking to buy a whole house for themselves"

So, on a starting salary of €36,390 houses would be "pretty affordable", you allege. When it's pointed out that that salary would only get a mortgage of €127, 365, you retort "Why would a single person, on a starting salary, be looking to buy a whole house for themselves".

Interesting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,324 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Most teachers don’t start out with full time posts. Most teachers start out subbing or getting a few hours here and there , part time work, while building their skills and reputation. They’ll often get a full time role in one of the schools that they’re covering some hours for.

I must tell my neighbour, who has two adult children as primary school teachers still living at home since before Covid, one with their partner having done the few years in Oz thing, how easy it is for his kids to move out. He’ll be delighted to hear your great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭Treppen

Thou art the troll sir.

Evidenced by the fact that you troll every teacher thread and argue with teachers so much about what teaching is, what we get paid, what our pension is, how much we pay on our mortgage etc. You have a special place in your heart for recommending the job to prospective teachers, not really to give genuine advice, but specifically to annoy teachers here and drag the thread off topic.

Like what even is your job? It's certainly not a teacher anyway.

Dunning Kruger doesn't go far enough to describe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

I am half thinking of this in one way myself.

Would be well into 40’s when qualified. Grass is always greener though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Don’t let age be a barrier but do go into it with open eyes. Stay away from the starting salary shite- no one walks into a permanent job. There was a post on here a couple of months ago from a newly qualified primary teacher who couldn’t understand or accept why they were not permanent after 2 years cos they would have been in the private sector. You need to understand that you will be subbing day to day initially and as you get more experience and or known in schools mat leaves and temps. You should factor in that it will take a number of years to get a permanent job. Also Unless you are very very lucky and get a temp straight out of college you need to factor in no pay over Summer. Summers at the start will also involve mind numbingly applying for every job that comes up in your area and hoping for the best. Once you understand the reality and can afford that financially you can make the decision - I retrained later in life and I love it. Best of luck with what you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

To be fair if you are in the east near Dublin you will walk into a job. At secondary very few teachers even on the market, good schools would be taking dips selectively and keeping them. By all accounts, where I am, the primaries are worse hit. They are also getting paid a lot of hours during their time in schools.

Im 10 years into my career in an urban area, I gross around 70-80 a year with a few extras that are not onorous. Bought a house couple of years ago. Sure, some of the people I went to college with earn a good bit more, some around the same but I have a good balance, security and love my jobs.

Geography is a massive consideration I think for anyone entering the profession. Easy to get jobs in Dublin but very expensive. But I'd also say we have a few teachers in the school who've bought alone in the last couple of years in the area, not impossible and the rebuilding Ireland offer 5 times income to good candidates, a few availed of this.....and the 2% locked in rate for life they got looks insane now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

I'm going to apply for PME in post primary and I'm 46.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

SIL in his thirties doing primary ATM. In his second training year, also subbing, delighted with it. If it's something you'd like to do, go for it.

No problem!! I'm happy to chip in, provide another perspective and correct any misleading information and mis-truths, like housing affordability in this case using documented facts and figures. That is not trolling.

I see another teacher in this thread also seems to go against the status quo and group think - I noticed their posts are also never thanked - will you be calling them a troll as well?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Let's give it a rest with the house prices.

The reality is a large percentage of NQTs do NOT get a full hours contract for a number of years. That might be bearable at 23, less so at 33 or 43.

It's great people want to change career, but please, listen to the facts as regards jobs and expected salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ddoolan03

Worth noting that this depends on the part of the country, and also who you know. As mentioned on other threads here, you could get lucky after just a year or two of high part-time hours if a full-time position comes up. Alternatively there's schools in certain parts of the country crying out for teachers and you could get full-time (not permanent, but still full-time) in your first year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement