Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vpn

Options
  • 04-01-2023 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi lads just wondering does anybody recommend a good VPN service that I can get ITV X the new service I am using surfshark but for some reason or other they seem to be able to watch it through my Amazon fire stick I had it working on my phone for a while but now it has stopped I would be very grateful if anybody could give me any advice or help Happy New Year to everybody and thank you so much for all your help guys

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mike

moved to nets and comms. May help to get more exposure for your question.

-Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 3 celica2000

Hi Mike I had the same problem if you're using a fire stick it's actually not able to do it Amazon has your first details and your account what I did was I got it on my laptop and then I will literally send it to my TV screen now and saying that my TV is a brand new Smart TV but I think it work on most TVs that are smart I'm not an expert but that's the way I'm doing it at the moment and it worked absolutely perfect and I use surfshark contact me if you need any more help

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭sqsqswqdwdwq

Trying to get a little help here on VPN'g into my Fritz!Box 7530 from an Android phone.

I've opened 4 ports on my Fritz box (router) in an effort to control a home VIX zGemma7 box remotely from my phone. Everything works fine! I am able to play live and recorded programs from my zGemma remotely on my phone.

But somewhere along the way, I've heard that opening ports in my router is not a good idea. So I've set up VPN on my FritzBox router, and also setup VPN on my phone. The two are talking, the communication is good, and control of my zGemma box from my phone works fine.

So here's where my ignorance about VPN etc becomes obvious! If I close the 4 ports on the router, and with VPN connected, the access from my remote phone to the zGemma no longer works.

So what purpose does the VPN connection serve?

If I have to leave the router ports open, won't hackers be able to poke into my LAN and home devices?

I'd appreciate your help! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭grimeire

you should only need to open the VPN port not 4 ports.

VPN is more secure as credentials sent in encrypted format where as direct access to zgemma is not. Using VPN all commication between phone and home net is encrypted regardless if the original traffic is not like in this case zgemma.

Advertisement