Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voltage meter

Options
  • 03-01-2023 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

Had an issue about 2 years ago where a wire going to the R/R suffered corrosion and snapped. After this I fitted a Voltage meter in case it happened again. http://www.sparkbright.co.uk/ I went to start the bike the other day aftr it lay up over the Christmas period { about 10 days }. The voltage meter flashes 4 times in red. According to the website its a { Red 4 flashes, repeating not charging – battery very low consider renewing battery } Only thing is ive tested the battery whilst running and it seems fine. Getting over 14V. Its a Motobatt roughly 2 years old. Is it possible the voltage meter is faulty and nothing else? I have inspected wiring around the R/R and it seems ok. Its a Honda nc750

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

you are most likely getting the surface charge if testing the bike running. Also 14v is the voltage off the charging system.

You're battery might be dead from the cold that we had and not holding a charge. Have you a multi mter to test it with when not on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I left it alone and will take a reading tomorrow afternoon. Good point about the cold snap though

unfortunatly i've lost batteries that way too!

So I left the battery sitting/resting since yesterday. Im getting a reading of 12.6v which seems ok to me? Thought i would have a spare battery knocking about to test it but I dont. I have stuck the battery on a procharger that can cycle through different tests so this should tell me if the battery is a dud or not. I got onto the company that supplied the voltage meter but they have yet to reply.

12.6v is pretty good, so between the alternator working properly and putting out 14v and then the battery at 12.6v at resting. I'd say its something with the voltage meter

I have this taking a live feed from the switched ignition circuit on the airhead. Its great to see it jump from 12 to 14v when running the bike so i know the alternator is working

• Advertisement

Just to update, I ordered a second voltage meter at the time so i fitted that today and all looks good. Green light etc. Ill test it again in the morning just to be on the safe side.

So it looks like the first one was just at fault then?

yes, hopefully. Gave me peace of mind for the two years.

if you are ever doing up another bike you could use something like this

Plugs into the battery tender leads. I had a similar one on my F650gs and R1200gs, it just gave me a voltage reading from the DIN charging ports.

If it showed 14v I knew the alternator was working and i could see a real time Battery Voltage. Also had USB ports on it for myphone

This is an SAE plug one, theyre pretty cheap online, but effective and easy to swap to a different bike or just keep in a jacket pocket

on the BMW I was using this

Advertisement