Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace manual heating timer switch with Wi-Fi enabled one

Options
  • 03-01-2023 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I Have the standard heating switch in my house, with constant on, constant off, and timer functions. Looking to get something like this on Amazon to replace, so it can be accessed remotely.

I'm wondering if this would be a simple enough job to do myself, or would I need to get an electrician in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I take it that you have no zoning?

You'll still need a double-pole isolating switch and corresponding 3/5A fuse, so if that's easy for you to install alongside this new switch then it could be a DIY job alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Well that's it anything electronic controlling immersions ,boilers etc.

Make sure you still have the DP isolation 2M max away from appliance and the fusing obviously for boilers

Lighting doesn't matter you can just replace a standard switch with a wi-fi operated one

Do these devices all keep the settings after you program them , if you were using a phone hotspot and didn't have any Internet

If we're talking about that WiFi timer linked above - I don't use that one but I would definitely hope so.

If you're talking about Shelly devices which I discussed in a previous posting, then yes, absolutely. The timer function or even the switching works as normal and the device will save the settings until it's brought back into the WiFi (hotspot, etc). They also now have a WiFi and Bluetooth hot-spot of their own which you can log onto and control the device.

I'm not seeing the need for all this smart control of lighting, heating, immersions , smoke alarms etc

Seems to be adding complexity to routine tasks

I can see the occasional need to control stuff remotely, definite benefit there

• Advertisement

And you're not wrong. But with an Electronics and IT background, it's second-nature to me.

I'll tell you what I just configured the other day which you might see benefit in. It's a monitor for my hot-tank so that when the top temperature drops below 40oC between the hours of 9am and 9 at night, it calls the gas boiler to boost the cylinder for 1hr20. It's in addition to the normal timed water heating cycle and ensures that with two teenagers that I don't run out of water for my late showers. I know that newer systems or demand systems do that, but my boiler and tank are 15m apart and there was no easy way of doing this without smart controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Love to pick your brain ,like kirk above have no need for remote controls in the home .I do not even have a timer on the oil heating switch ,I turn on at 4pm and switch off at 9pm etc but i find house cools down about hour after switching off heating.Lately instead of turning off switch at 9 i turned the boiler in the garage dial down and it keeps the house warmer and switch off heating when going to bed at 11. so basically 2 hours heat while using no oil and hot water cylinder is cooled down at this stage.Next evening i just put dial up again on boiler before putting on switch for heating My question could there be a remote control switch got to turn down boiler dial to spare me walking to garage at 9pm .I hope you understand what my idea is

Yes, sure. This would be a good example of where smart controls can simplify life.

Let me ask one question though - do you have WiFi and would it reach the shed? If not, we'd have to think of different communication method.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Slipshaney

sorry guys, I wasnt getting notified of replies here.

Just to update, I had the Wifi switch installed and it works a treat. Its handy for turning on/off the heat when we are out and about. Also works fine with Alexa.

Advertisement