Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EV/Hybrid/Diesel

Options
  • 03-01-2023 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all,

Have to start thinking about our next car as I want to make an informed rather than a rushed decision when the time comes over the next 12 months or so. Current set up is as follows:

I have a 6 year old diesel Golf which I love! My mileage each day is a 60km round trip on mainly rural roads. Approx 10km of it is primary road.

My wife has a a 12 year old diesel golf (this will be the one we change). Her commute is approx a 100km round trip across a mix of primary and secondary roads. However, she now works from home 3 days a week. On these days she just does a short school run. The reduction in travel has probably bought us another year or two out of the car. A couple of expensive fixes over the past two years (fuel jets,gasket, brakes - all common but expensive fixes).

We own both cars now with no outstanding loans on them so I am not in a rush to take one out but the time will come so I would rather know what I am at.

With trade in (which is now more than I expected) I do no want to put more than 20k absolute max with it.

So that rules out an EV. They are just too expensive. (In this scenario we would also prob share the EV and my golf which would mean switching between manual and automatic)

A petrol hybrid (toyota, hyundai) might be an option. I am not sure how economical it would be and who should be the one to use it though......

Final option would be to just go ahead and buy another second diesel (another Golf). I was leaning more and more to this option until I seen how much the prices had jumped! Also, I would be looking at going back only a couple of years (2020 or so) and there are not many second hands from this time due to COVID.

Our local mechanic basically told us to keep the old Golf until it gives up the ghost!!! Need to have an idea what I am looking for when that happens though so would really appreciate some general feedback.TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Alkers

Ioniq 28kWh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

I think your mechanic makes sense tbh. Buying second hand is very expensive at the moment and if the 12 yr old golf is running well, then I would stay as is. I would be prepared for some expense on some repairs, but the golf should be pretty reliable so I would expect it to be minimal. You don't state the KMs on it, how long you have it and if it is maintained well or why you think it will only last a year or two. These should go well for another good few years

In regards to Petrol Hybrid as we have a CT200H hybrid, you will get around 5.2 to 5.6 per 100KM on normal run of the mill driving but these are expensive/high demand to buy second hand..... getting one in good condition is another days work. These are a seriously reliable car though (toyota/lexus petrol hybrid) as my wife is on her second one and never gave a days grief. You get used to going from between manual and auto as I have a manual and use the CT now and again.

If you wait another year or two, you will have additional cash to get closer to an EV, as between you both, EV with the diesel Golf would work well. Second hand prices might have dropped a bit by then but probably wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

Thanks for reply

There is 228k on it and we have owned it for all bar two years. It has been serviced regularly and well looked after. COVID subsequent reduction in travel due to WFH has ought us this extra time tbh. Without that there would be closer to 300k on it ! I just think it is getting towards an age where NCT might be an issue and also it can limit insurance options as some companies have stopped quoting for older cars. Next NCT is in August so I would be optimistic there would be no issues but I would be looking at changing in the 12 month period after that I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Ok 228 is not huge and the fact that you have kept it well maintained makes this a good option to keep for the forseeable future imo - you could buy a diesel a few years old and it may cost alot with DPF/EGR issues etc with your reduced travel and god knows what else. While second hand cars have gone up, your 12 year old car will not be worth alot when you try to sell it. It is worth a hell of a lot more to you as it is going well. I would not be worried about insurance as you will get insurance if you wait with your current provider.

I picked up my current CT from a person that was upgrading and purchased it privately. I got it at a good price and I sold my 2012 CT very easly with loads of calls. You have time on your side, so something like this might be an option. Best of luck whatever you decide but I think Diesel is ruled out for you with your reduced travel, so hybrid/EV would be a good route. I cannot recommend the Toyota/Lexus hybrid enough if you don't want any hassle, they are just really reliable. The only issues I had is the pins for the calipar stick (grease once a year otherwise you are looking at new discs and pads eventually) and the shield over the exhaust becomes loose (just retighten with wide washers). Outside of that, just a service. Best of luck whatever you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭JKerova1

I'm in a similar position myself. Currently driving a 08 Volvo 2.0d with 200,000 miles. Would like to change car over the next 12 months or so but just can't afford anything the way second hand prices are. I'll probably keep the Volvo another while. Funnily enough the Lexus CT200h is a car I've had an eye on, but they are rare and expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭crisco10

Another vote for "do nothing" here. You may get more for the trade in than you expect, but you will be paying more for the replacement in turn so ultimately you'll end up worse off.

I'd wait it out with what you have, and maybe in 2 or 3 years, get something like an MG4 EV for <€30k)

Thanks that’s what we have decided

See ye this time next year

Maybe :D

I’m back :D

So it got the NCT last year but we had to spend a few hundred euro on it (brakes, handbrake )

There is now a fair judder when taking off in low gear so I assume the clutch is in the way out and it will also need two new tyres. I had actually planned on waiting another year to change as we have a new house and need to get the outside in some kind of shape. I can’t justify spending a load of money on a new clutch though and then getting rid (we have a good bit put in over last few years on fuel injectors , brakes etc) .

Ive had a quick look and am shocked at the prices of second hand Toyota hybrids !Never mind the prices of a new EV! Won’t get much of anything for 25k

I’m still unsure as to what type of car we should even be going for .

Help :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It might not be the clutch, either way your going to have to fix it. Sooner the better less damage you might do.

The market is all over the place, maybe get the outside sorted for the summer and you hopefully grab a bargain later on in the year. 25k should be a decent budget in another 11/12mts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭almostover

Run the golf into the ground, you owe no debt on it. It's yours now. If it's large enough and suits your load carrying needs then plough on. Your mechanic is talking sense. You've repaired most of the typical diesel golf issues now and it's likely the car won't cost you much outside of servicing and replacement of wearing items. Unless you need a car with more space or have money to spend and fancy something new then just stick with what you have. A 12 year old golf with 228k km is minimal enough. My mother is driving my old 09 Diesel Passat and it has 450k km on it running away fine. Don't be worrying about the NCT, it's the cheapest most rigorous car test out there. Just get the fail sheet, give it to your mechanic to fix and move on. The types of things that the NCT will fail typically won't go over €2k even in the worst of circumstances and your golf is probably worth 3-4 times that. Drive on until the day you get a bill that's greater than the car's market value. Keep your €20k and do some home improvement, spend it on a hobby, have a nice holiday or put it towards your kids college fund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

We had 2 diesels and decided we could downsize to 1 car.

We got a plug in hybrid Kuga. Most of our driving locally can be done on the overnight charge. Costs me €2 to charge it at night. Currently getting about 50km on the charge. We're living rural so it's a drive into town a few times a day with kids and me to drop and collect. Wife has the car.

We get 2.6L / 100km

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭in2dark

I guess the 2.6/100 is the combined consumption. What consumption do you get without the first 50 kms on the battery? Also what rate do you pay to charge for 2 euros? Im asking cause i also consider getting the kiga. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I pay 29c at night. Not been able to see my mpg separately. I can drive to Dublin on an empty battery from Kerry and still get 20 to 30% electric.

We get most of our driving in a day on electric from 1 charge due to it regenerating. I'm lighter on the pedal than with my old diesel.

Consumption in comparison,friends have a hybrid which is 6l/100km.

I’m half thinking that when we do change it (either next few months or this time next year ) that going back to a petrol car rather than paying a premium for a self charging hybrid which our won’t suit our commutes might make the most sense …..

Got a ball park figure of 750 for clutch and flywheel replacement. Also needs 2 tyres so won't have much change out of 1000 euro. Going to bite the bullet even though it means buying at the height of second hand car market.

Will most likely go for this Toyota (tonyburkemotors.ie). I rang to clear up the ownership. Apparently it is one lady owner and she bought it as a demo in 2022 due to delay in new stock. Sounds believable.....

This is back up option if I am not happy with the above Toyota (tonyburkemotors.ie). It is a nicer looking car bu it is a full year older for the same price. We keep our cars for 12/13 years so would prefer to go for the newer one. Not much difference in spec other than cosmetics.

And then we figure out who uses it.....I will probably just stick with my Golf. The wife will only be doing runarounds Mon-Weds (have not looked into the functionality of the self charging element as to whether it could/should be switched to electric only for those days). Thursday and Friday her commute is approx a 100km round trip across a mix of primary and secondary roads. Weekend travel is limited to 70km in and out to Galway city on main road at most once a weekend. Slightly worried about increases fuel costs for her on top of a new car loan though

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Both seem expensive for 2 and 3 year old models.

Examples of 2023 models for similar money:

https://www.carsireland.ie/3544720

https://www.carsireland.ie/3526689

Even just to put into perspective of how expensive the 21/22 ones are, you can get a brand new one for 35k so if your keeping the car for a long time and can stretch the budget it might make more sense to buy brand new:

https://www.carsireland.ie/3335558

Interesting thanks. The nearest one to us in Mayo was 1000 euro dearer than both of those ! Toyota (patkellyautopoint.com)

Good to have those 2 price comparison for negotiations .......we are right at the very top of our budget so can't go new sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭User1998

Theres also plenty of 2022’s in Dublin for €3,500 less. For example:

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/35463057

This is great information thanks. I will print off a few for bargaining. Galway mayo area seems to be much dearer for them. This 2022 in Tuam is nearly as dear as new Toyota (parsonsgarage.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭djan

As much as it's exciting to buy a new car but given you are shopping for a standard enough car, is it really worth it to spend 30k in order to forego the 750eur repair? From your comments, you seem happy with the current golf so why not just keep it until it falls apart.

On the other hand a nice balance of both choices could be to go for a used EV such as 40KW EV SV - AUTO - APPLE PLAY - 120TAX - for sale in Co. Dublin for €11,950 on DoneDeal which will be more than enough for the expected 70km daily runabout with substantially lower running and servicing costs which you seem averse to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭circadian

You're nearly at 30k, is this on finance or cash? It might be worth pushing the budget for new since the price difference isn't actually huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭josip

I'm not saying he's wrong, but if your local mechanic services your cars at the moment, I wouldn't expect him to say anything else except to keep them and run them into the ground.

Which he had been until this to be fair. He now has also advised us to change

The tipping point has now been reached for us tbh. It’s a 14 year old car with no mod cons bar the aircon which stopped working two years ago :D

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭mengele

Would you not consider a 2 year old diesel golf? And stick with what you know?

Has considered that first but felt it would be too risky. We will be holding this car until near 2040 and diesel is the devil now

You could consider a scrappage offer on a new car might help bridge the gap.

Thanks everyone for all the advice

We bought the 222 one

Advertisement