Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customs Holyhead to Dublin - foot passenger

Options
  • 03-01-2023 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if customs check foot passengers coming on ferry from Holyhead to Dublin?

I intend travelling back with a car part in a backpack, that a mate is giving me, and wonder if customs will bother me?

Post edited by HildaOgdenx on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Unless it's something mad expensive and it's pretty obvious that you're importing it - I wouldn't worry. As long as it's not prohibited or illegal the worst that can happen is you'll be charged - similarly to when you'd get it posted over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Thanks, its just a suspension part..my mate tried posting to me last year but customs here just held it and returned it it with no explanation...so I'm going to try visit him and just bring it back myself..

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Juran

I came through Dublin port from.holyhead last year by car. Customs stopped every single car. My car was full of boxes and bags as I helping a relative move home. I was asked by customs if I had alcohol or cigs. It was like being back in 1989. I was waiting for them to ask if I was bringing condoms, no lie.

I told them I had a few bottles of alcohol I picked up in the supermarket. I was asked to go to another lane for second check. The guy there asked me what I had. I told him 'approx 6 bottles of wine and 2 cases of beers' (I had a lot more than that). He told me to keep going.

So no concern by our border customs controls about illegal people hidden in your boot, child kidnapping or brining in explosives or guns, or smuggling animals or plants. Just alcohol and smokes 🍺🥂🍾👍

• Registered Users Posts: 25,017 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Haven’t done that trip for a number of years… but they could if the mood took them or were on the lookout for something or someone, be a pretty laborious and inconvenient experience… and while not aggressive were not very polite.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Juran

Since Brexit, they now treat passengers coming off UK ferries like they are arriving from Iraq. Customs check for evety single car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭mct1

Depends - do you look suspicious or foreign? And if you're male, a female companion helps. Beardy husband is usually stopped if he's driving alone, never with me.Having said that I've done all the crossings many times and haven't ever seen a foot passenger searched.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Housefree

You could get it sent to a service up North like Ohhpod to avoid charges

• Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

put it on a chain and wear all gangster 'n sh1t

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement