Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car repair problem

Options
  • 02-01-2023 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭

Apologies for cross posting this but I would like an opinion here as well as in the Motors forum.

A local mechanic, who I have used before, agreed to do my timing chain. He examined the car in September to check that it was worth doing. I left the car with him & agreed that he would do it.

September Mechanic has car.

11th November he says that he's starting it.

16th November send me photos of it on a lift.

25th November sends photos of the chain off the car

Then nothing. Doesn't reply to messages.

My other car is permanently off the road now & I am stuck. I don't want to fall out with a local guy but I will need to use the money set aside for the repair unless he gets my car back soon.

How would you play this ? The delay has cost me a lot. Where do I stand legally ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,170 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is it a legit business he is operating? Have you tried calling to the premises and asking for an update?

Is there a chance he is dead, Ill etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Very legit business with a good reputation. I was planning to call in before I became car less. Obviously I have to wait until tomorrow. I am more wondering what would be considered reasonable if I had to take legal action. I will owe him for the repair but the delays have cost me.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭phildub

What have the delays cost you?

It sounds to me like you told the mechanic to take his time as car wasn't needed. I see no other reasonable explanation as to why you let the car sit in the garage for 2 months with no word.

Legal options - take car out of garage and get it fixed somewhere else. If the car can't be moved arrange for a tow and see if you can recoup costs of this in small claims court

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Not really a case for legal action. He either does the job and gets paid, or you take it off him and get someone else to do it.

Costs incurred by you as a result of having no car for a long period will be a matter for yourself.

So he is under no obligation to conduct the repair in a reasonable period of time? The car is in his workshop in pieces. It can't be easily taken anywhere. I have told him & sent messages, during the past 4 months, stressing that I need the car urgently.

He won't release the car without payment.

• Advertisement

Harsh as it might be - Not really on the strength of the information you have provided. If you had a documented agreement with him that it be completed within a certain timeframe, you could potentially sue him for breach of contract - but even in that case it would be very unlikely to be worth your while.

The most practical remedy here is to have him complete the work. I would say call in person to the garage and/or his house and try and encourage him to finish it. Otherwise your only other realistic option is to have it towed somewhere else.

Is there more to this? Why would he be sending you blow by blow photographs of a job which really should only take a day?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Well then if hes willing to release the car on payment then ask is the work carried out and you will pay for same and collect your car.........

Do you have a contract which puts an obligation in him to complete it in a certain period of time?

If the work should take a day what exactly os he seeking payment for? Either the work is done or its not.

I feel there is more to this story that you are withholding. Why is the car in pieces and how do you know this? Accoridng to one of your posta the last pic was of the chain off the car.

You also havnt said how this has cost you money as you already had a second car

Because the job is taking weeks & I guess that he is trying to show me that it's being worked on.

I have finally been told that the car is "back in one piece but there are still issues" . I have to wait until tomorrow to know what those issues are.

• Advertisement

If the photo shows the chain being off the car then ....the car is in pieces :)

I have had to turn down work because this is my work car with ladder racks towbar etc. I have had to do repair work on my other car because it was only supposed to be for emergencies & not four months continuous use. Had he completed the repair in anything like a reasonable time I wouldn't be car less now.

How would a case not be worth my while if it's only 25 euro to take a case in the small claims Court ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

What would you be claiming? That the repair went over an non existent agreed timeframe?

But how would a chain being off prevent the car being towed?

What car would be deemed road worthy by the nct that would not be meant to be used for 4 continuous months

There are so many holes in this story that it's not making sense.

You said you had another car so didn't need this one back straight away but now it's a work vehicle that is vital for your income. Would you not have said that day one, that you relied on it for income. Or when you turned down your first work offer, why didn't you go back and say you had turned down work and you needed the car.

From your posts it sounds like you left the car there and didn't say when you needed to get it back by, didn't do a lot by way of follow up, maybe he didn't understand the urgency. Sounds like it could have all be rectified earlier had you been upfront from the beginning. I'd say lesson learned and move on, cant see any judge awarding damages here when no attempt was made to litigate your loss.

You really need to read my posts. I told him numerous times that I needed the car urgently & that I was having to turn down work. I also sent whatsapp messages so I have a, written record. These messages started after 4 weeks & have continued up to now.

I assume you mean mitigate my loss & not litigate.

There is a reasonable time frame which isn't 4 months.

What was the agreed timeframe when you handed it in?

There wasn't an agreed time frame. But no one is going to expect it to take 4 months. I messaged after a couple of weeks making clear that I needed the car ASAP.

I have used him before & had no reason to expect such delays.

The new problem will be that he is now saying that there are other issues with the car & obviously I am suspicious that these are the result of the work not being done properly.

You said in your op “if it was worth doing”, can we take it this was an old vehicle?

Also, if there was no agreed time frame, what timeframe are you going to claim he exceeded?

• Advertisement

2007. A reasonable timeframe & reasonable communication. Taking two months to even start the work, despite repeated reminders that I need it urgently, is totally unreasonable. If he couldn't do the work he should of said so.

What did he say when you called in today?

He wasn't open. He called me & said the car was back together but there was another issue. He wouldn't elaborate & said that he will call me tomorrow.

But what is your claim? - Mechanic is taking too long to fix the car Judge, is not a cause of action.

Try and have him get it finished by engaging with him, it really is the way to go.

If it was taking two or three weeks I would agree with you but 4 months & it's still not fixed, is way beyond too long for any reasonable person. The fact that there are still issues with the car, after the timing chain replacement, suggests that it was a bodged job. And every day that he is still fixing it is another day that I can't work & earn money.

I want the car back but I am finding it very difficult trusting & believing him after so much hassle.

How do you know the issues were caused by the timing belt job? It’s a 15 yr old commercial vehicle which it was up for discussion was work fixing. Pay the man for the timing belt, pick it up and get the other issues sorted at another garage, the way forward on this seems clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

Once he had the car for over a week you should have been physically down at the garage asking for a definite date. It's ridiculous to let it drag on for months, just sending Whatsapp messages.

I agree. But I trusted him, he has a good reputation. He has done work for me before & it's extremely difficult to find someone that will do this kind of work.

He examined the car with me present, he carried out diagnostic tests, he drove the car & the only problem was the timing chain. The car has not been driven since. So it does seem strange that new issues could appear unrelated to the rebuild. And the last thing I want to be doing is having to find another garage that may well say that the repair wasn't done correctly.

I would have little confidence in the car now.

• Advertisement

Not a mechanic, but surely you first need to find out what the other issues are and why they weren’t identifiable the day you dropped it in, before you say he caused the issues. Does diagnostic testing/driving/visual inspection identify all problems? Surely worn or leaking parts may only be visible when the car is more closely examined during repair.

But look, the only way to get your car back is by direct communication, if he changed the timing chain, pay him for that, I don’t see why he should release your car without payment for work done.

Advertisement