Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor soffit lights wired to upstairs lighting circuit?

Options
  • 01-01-2023 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,840 ✭✭✭✭

Folks, I'd like to get an idea of what can be done before I ask an electrician

I'd like to get some soffit lights installed for extra security. I'd like some LED downlights rather than security lights which blind everyone passing by

I was thinking of getting them wired back to the existing upstairs lighting circuit.

There's 8-9 existing light fixtures on the current circuit with low energy LED bulbs in them. They're wired back to a 10A breaker, so I'm thinking something like 6 LED downlights should be no problem for overloading the circuit?

In terms of wiring, I'm guessing the electrician would take the supply for the lights off one of the existing ceiling roses and wire the downlights in series?

The live wire would presumably come down to a switch and then the switched live goes to the lights?

Last question, there's an existing two way switch on the landing for the landing light (other half of the two way switch is downstairs). Is it possible to turn this into a double switch and control the outdoor lights from there? Or is it better to use a new switch to stop the two way switch from having too many wires in it?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

He might or might wire it separate , either way he'll want an RCBO at board

A convenient way of wiring the switch is with a wired receiver in attic and a kinetic switch .Saves wiring a switch drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,840 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Why an RCBO out of curiosity? There's an RCD at the CU already, I would have thought that was sufficient?

Switch drop would be easy enough, there's a couple of handy spots where you can drop down a wire in trunking into the hot press

I'll probably combine with a dusk sensor or timer switch (or both) so I can just leave the system "on" and it'll light up automatically at dusk

Timer + Photocell is fine for control

The bigger jobs they wire photocell before timer , means the lights don't come on briefly every day with the timer

A lot of sparks will want their wiring and RCBO completely separate

Means they can test their own work separately and they're not getting called back for other problems knocking off the new lights.Would probably depend on the spark.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,840 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Fair point, I'll see what the sparks thinks about it 👍

• Advertisement
Advertisement