Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rear light recommdations?

Options
  • 01-01-2023 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭

Looking for a good rear light, one of the intelligent ones possibly, camera would be good too I guess- what’s the best out there currently?(id spend 150.. but maybe that won’t get all the above!)

thanks and happy new year

marty.

Post edited by Weepsie on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭whomadewho

My mate has this Garmin smart light, I've been out cycling at night with him while he used it. Its expensive but It is quality. I use usb leyzne back and front light and also I have a polar watch and bike computer but If I was to buy again I would go the Garmin.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Yes Garmin Varia with radar (assuming you have a Wahoo or Garmin headunit) They do one with a camera also but it's much more expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Another vote for the Garmin RTL 515 (doesn't have a camera).

I'd budget a bit extra for a new mount - this is easy if you have a round seat post, a bit more complicated if you have an aero new type seat post but still possible. The mount included does the job but is a bit less solid than the other type of mounts.

The new version with the camera is great in theory but apparently less so in practice, according to reviews. It might improve gradually with software updates but realistically probably needs a V2 to be worth getting

If you don't want any of the smart features, some of the Lezyne strip drive lights are great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Thanks all… I’ll keep an eye out for bargains for a varia so!

I have a really old Lezyne strip light and it’s very good but It’s old now.

The Lezyne has the mount built into it- strong rubber band basically— is the varia like this??— I use a few bikes so would like to be able to switch easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Not really - the mount stays on the bike & to remove the light you just do a quarter turn like removing a Garmin GPS computer. The included mount is easy to switch between bikes as it is just attached using an elastic. I have three main bikes and just bought mounts for each, I got them on sale for about a tenner

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

What does the varia offer above just a regular decent light?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Connects to your head unit and shows you when a car is coming behind you, and gives you a rough idea of how far back they are too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Santa brought me a Varia Radar 515 (was €150 direct from Garmin). Very impressed with it so far - especially useful on windy days where I get an alert significantly before I'd heard the vehicle.

I generally ride with a saddle bag - I've mounted as per the video below with a spare quarter turn mount that came with my 530. I didn't like there was no tether, so did buy a case with tether though (as I'll have it on Gravel spins too) https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0B7J1G7C9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

https://youtu.be/2-0STTG_dkA

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I suppose then, what does this give you. I read all these people on other forums saying they find it great, but I just can't see the point. I don't think I change my style of riding when someone is behind me and I look around enough that I don't think it is really an issue that needs solving. Is it just that it takes the shock of a close pass out of it as you know there was something coming?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Same myself I find it a bit of a gimmick. If I'm on country roads I'll hear them and sure other roads there's a car every other minute if not more frequently. The only conceivable use I can see would be if you were using head phones or something. 🤷‍♂️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Maybe my hearing isn't as good, but like I said, on windy days I've found it useful to have the alert as it's been before I have heard them. Has it changed my style of riding? As I've been aware earlier, it's lead to me taking up primary position earlier too where necessary. It also tells you how many vehicles are coming, and changes flashing pattern when vehicle is approaching.

I had a Leyzne Stripe Pro for a few years, but I actually lost it off the bike (despite the strong mounting). So while I wouldn't necessarily argue replacing a good rear light, I also wouldn't just dismiss it as a gimmick if you're in the market (which I was). Fly 6 was the other one I was looking at, but it just doesn't seem to have the battery life I'd want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

As Macy said above it changes the light pattern as it detects something gaining on its radar .

A clubmate who was driving behind me one early morning thought I had two lights on .

When in high traffic areas or on group rides I turn the radar detection off. Easy to switch the radar on and off via the head unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The light pattern changing sounds like a good feature but living in Dublin there's always traffic so the radar would be useless to me. Plus I cycle with music in my left ear so I can always hear traffic. Even with an EV behind you'll hear the tyre noise.

I've used an older Lezyne Strip Drive Pro for years now without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Gerry

I'll put in a vote for see.sense icon. Still flawless after 6 years. only slight gripe being the rubber band mount which wears, but I've still 1 or 2 spares left .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Loved mine. Was nicked the rare time I forgot to take it off. Battery lasted ages

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭cailineile

Hey throwing this into the mix. I’ve had a fair few rear lights. With cameras mostly. Lezyne and Cateye are what I have on the hybrid and mountain bike. Using this on road bike. Do kit get cycliq. Worst buy ever.

https://www.tooocycling.store/products/tooo-cycling%e2%84%a2-dvr90-model-bicycle-lamp-camera-full-pack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Was just looking at that yesterday. How do you find it in terms of battery life, visibility, user friendliness and camera quality?

Can't bring myself to pay Garmin prices and from what I've read the Cycliq is great when it works but a disaster when it doesn't (and seems to not work for a lot of people).

Advertisement