Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VAT on newspapers

Options
  • 01-01-2023 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

I thought newspapers were to be zero rated from today ? Sunday Times price is still €4. Or does the VAT reduction take effect from tomorrow ?

Comments

It’s extremely unlikely that any newspaper will be reducing the price of the printed edition. The dropping of VAT on newspapers is designed to make their business model sustainable in an era where the media is under threat and we are being fed a steady stream of lies, propaganda and misinformation through social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MunsterM

Yes, I didn't really expect to see a reduction in the price, but I would expect them to remove the "(inc VAT)" text from the cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Sunday indo 9% would be around 35cent based on cover price of 4euro. That's not going to be used to support "journalism". It's going add 9% to their bottom line I would imagine..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

And you can imagine the scream headlines in these same papers if the vat reduction was in another industry and it wasn't passed on

Absolute proof of the hypocritical nature of the print media

• Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭zell12

The Star still has it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Technically they're correct. The Vat rate is 0 so the price is inclusive of the relevant vat rate.

Newspapers are dying and they are squeezing the last bit they can out of the industry.

More and more traditional shops are now getting out of newspaper's as they keeping increasing the delivery charges.

Very hypocritical of them as was said above they would be screaming at other industries if they did the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yes I think you're correct - the VAT rate for newspapers is now 0% as opposed to books which are 'zero rated'. Technical difference.

But I don't think there was ever an expectation that the retail price of the newspapers would fall, the whole idea of this VAT change was to try and limit price increases due to rapidly climbing printing and other production costs, combined with lower circulation.

There's just as many lies, propaganda and misinformation in the traditional media as there is on social media, indeed the main objective of young mainstream journalists nowadays is to land themselves a cosy government advisor job when their TD mate becomes a minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Rubbish. Maybe take your head out of the conspiracy theory parts of the media (and a part of your anatomy) and you might learn something.

Really? What about Chris Donoghue, Niall O’Connor, Paul Melia, Sarah Bardon, Ed Carty, Laura Larkin, Barry Duggan and Fiach Kelly, to name just a few. Journalists shouting hear hear from the gallery when Donohue made the announcement of the 0%. Vat rate was disgusting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭Xander10

I would have thought their argument would have been, the removal of the VAT would make the paper cheaper and increase income from extra sales?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭Doodah7

You do realise that journalists working in the political system has been a thing forever? I'm around long enough to remember back to the likes of Sean Duignan et al who were journalists/broadcasters who worked the other side of the fence for a few years.

It is not a new thing.

What I'm more perplexed about is the GenZ obsession that the media is engaged in lies and propaganda when it is patently not the case.

Advertisement