Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data Retrieval Tools / Programmes

Options
  • 31-12-2022 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭

Anyone know any good free Data Retrieval Tools / Programmes that recovers the Files as well as previews them? T.i.a.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Google “Hirens boot cd download”. Plenty of options on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭misstearheus

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Recuva

Installed Hiren's. Don't know what I'm doing.

Installed Recuva:. Press Scan. :-)

Stage 1 of 3: Scanning drive for deleted files

Current Progress: 1%, 253718 file(s) found

Estimated time left: 2 days

Oh we're back to 1 day.

In the Recuva Screen Box / Window whatever you call it, when selecting the Drive to scan, I could see all my Folders in there that I need back! They are right there!

2 DAYS?!?

Prayers this will get all me stuff back. Would be so happy.

Shure I don't really want deleted Files at all like do I now that I think of it, shure I would have deleted them for a reason. :-I

Current progress 2% Whoop Whoop.

• Advertisement

Lads we're at

Stage 1 of 3: Scanning drive for deleted files

Current progress: 93%, 525001 file(s) found

Estimated time left: 1 hour

Well that's some sort of progress isn't it?!? And progress has to be good right..?! I dunno..?!

My External Drive is making loads of lovely action-y bubbley sounds..:-D

But is this just all deleted files that I've ever deleted...?!? So does it still have to find/retrieve all my actual in-use Files/Folders ... That's gonna take many days it seems...

Awwwwwww do ye know what I'm after thinkin'.... I enabled Deep Scan thinking it to be a Deep Scan of the Drive I selected it to scan/look-up, but now I'm just wondering is Deep Scan an actual scan of every Device, my Laptop included...?? :-/ Maybe I should have just left it as quick Scan...?

Does anyone happen to know any good Computer-Repair Shops in Galway City or indeed out the County that can retrieve corrupted / un-readable data from an External Drive... T.i.a.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jacobss

Were you lucky to find a good tool? I need to recover data on my microSD card.

I didn't go ahead with anything. Still need to get it sorted. I did buy something called WonderShare but then ya have to buy more features to actually obtain the data. And I don't know a lot about Computers so I didn't feel comfortable going ahead with it. Although it did look promising that it recalled loads of files and data and stuff, so maybe for someone more into Computers that could work out well.

I brought it into a couple of places in Galway City, and they couldn't guarantee that they'd be able to retrieve anything or not. So I didn't go ahead with anything. I prob. will have to bring it back though and see how they go as I'd like to get all those files back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭10-10-20

There's a science to this and it always starts with making a digital copy (golden image) of the corrupt media. If you don't do that then you risk corrupting or having the data degrade further. Then once the media is copied, you can play around with a copy of that image to your heart's content.

I have used ddrescue in Linux to do this, but if you're looking to do it under Windows I see that there is a Windows version called "ddrescue-gui" which offers similar functionality, but I have not used that tool directly. Normally after creating a golden image you would then make a copy of that image and then run a filesystem repair on it, and then see if the image is mountable. If not, make another copy off the golden image and then try a data recovery tool on it, then see if it's mountable. And so on. That process should be quicker, especially if the image is made onto an SSD disk.

• Advertisement

A science to what?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Advertisement