Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good online nurseries

Options
  • 30-12-2022 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭

I remember a thread here last year or the year before about good garden nurseries but can’t put my finger on it? It mentioned Caherhurley and a few other nurseries. My mind’s gone blank!

Looking to start planning for the year, any other suggestions for good garden centres that deliver?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭macraignil

Not ordered online as I prefer to see what plants I'm getting but have had a good experience getting plants from future forests in West Cork and they have a good website that advertises delivery.

Happy gardening and all the best in the new year!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Johnstown Garden Centre has a huge range of plants, and delivers. Their prices are somewhat reasonable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Always had excellent experiences with Future Forests

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

I love future forests myself. Brilliant for shrubs and tress but I’m more on the hunt for specific perennials. Johnstown garden centre is great too but they stopped delivering for a while it seems they’re back up again!

i might have to go back down the seed sowing root this year. I was looking to add a bit more colour other than purple to the main border. I introduced and split a few geum Mai tai last autumn and was thinking along the lines of some salmon coloured verbascums. The problem I need some inspiration for is I have too many spiky upright plant and need to balance with some more purple mound forming plants. I’ve ruled out aster as they flower too late compared to the rest of the border.

I've gotten plants from Rare Plants Ireland as well - all good. I haven't ordered from Mount Venus Nursery but will doing so soon - had an email chat with the owner and he was very knowledgeble so I expect they are good.

• Advertisement

I’ve never heard of them Rare plants Ireland thanks!

I have a memory of looking at mount venus during lockdown beautiful plants but I have a funny feeling I didn’t order from them due to their high delivery charge, something mad like €70? Maybe it was a lockdown thing! Not a 100% sure but I think it was them, I’m open to correction!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LurkerNo1

Mount Venus is probably the best in Ireland for perennials in Ireland, 70 euro delivery you saw is for a pallet of plants.

Plantwerk in the Netherlands is decent too, reasonable shipping too last time ordered, 9cm pots too so you are not paying for compost.

They have beautiful show gardens too! What I wouldn’t give to book one of their gardener designers for a day and bend their ear!

Good tip on small pots!

Never heard of plantwerk but the prices are excellent, between 1/2 and 1/3 for some 9cm grasses I bought last year. Do the plants arrive in good condition?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Kilmurry Nursery are excellent for perennials. They dispatch the plants on Tuesdays. I also use Farmer Gracy. A British company but they dispatch from Holland I think so no problem with customs.

Future forests are excellent also but their stock seems to be depleted lately.

• Advertisement

I forgot about Kilmurry!

I’ve always seen framer gracy advertised and wondered about them. I was kind of wondering if they were in the ‘gardens4u’ type bracket. But it’s good to get a positive recommendation, I might give them a try.

Im slowly beginning to remember who I’ve used in the past, Newlands and Clarinbridge are also good.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LurkerNo1

Yes, always well packaged never had any issues at all. They are perennials so the roots are most important. If the top growth is a bit tatty from transport I just cut it back, recovers in no time at all.

Has anyone had any dealings with this firm in Wexford? https://www.englishsfruitnursery.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,333 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Yes I've bought from them a few times, no problems at all.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Oh great, thanks! They have a very klutsy website which concerned me a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭LazyClouds

I really like https://www.thegardenshop.ie/ I've ordered from here a few times and I have no complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Have dealt with them for donkeys years and are the best for fruit, and good delivery or collect. A lot of the nursery sell their plants at big mark up. Tom is very easy to deal with and great growing advice and top quality stuff.

Advertisement