Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nadur Pet Food

Options
  • 29-12-2022 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi. We just welcomed a 12 week old Maltese puppy in our family. The breeder was feeding him pedigree. I've done a bit of research and I want to transition him to a higher quality dry food. I went to Petstop and was recommended Nadur. Has anyone used Nadur before? Or any other recommendations? Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

There’s a lot of controversy over grain free food for dogs. There’s strong evidence to suggest that a grain free diet can contribute to dilated cardiomyopathy. This is a slightly old review: https://skeptvet.com/Blog/2021/01/diet-associated-dilated-cardiomyopathy-dcm-in-dogs-what-do-we-know-so-far/ but I think there has been more recent research published that has made the link stronger.

We considered Nadur strongly but decided to go for a normal (grain included) food instead. There’s a great thread here about different dog foods, and you can also look at https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/ for reviews. We ended up going with Markus Muhle that we order from Zooplus and it seems to suit our 8mo golden retriever well.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Anawilliam850

This brand is good, but I recommend you to change the food slowly, mixing a little of the new food with the old one, and then increase the amount, this way, the puppy didn't get sick

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I don't think any claim can be made that the available evidence to suggest there's an issue with grain-free diets is "strong"... it's anything but!

Just about every research paper or opinion piece you'll read will tell you that there is a clear need for more research to try to establish a link, or not.

According to more recent research, peas seem to be the chief suspect at the moment, but again... caution in drawing conclusions is requested:

Opinion piece: https://www.aaha.org/publications/newstat/articles/2021-08/new-clues-to-diet-associated-dcm-in-dogs/

...based on this paper: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-94464-2

The following is the most recent research article I can find, published in the past few weeks, which seems to cast doubt on there being a link between grain-free diets and DCM... https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fanim.2022.846227/full

Again though... the authors note that we just don't know enough yet to draw the conclusion that a grain-free diet and DCM are linked.

Another 2022 article that tries to draw together the available evidence includes, from the FDA which first released warnings in 2018, "Regardless, the FDA has still not confirmed a cause-and-effect relationship between grain-free diets and canine DCM, and notes that not only have there been cases of nutritional DCM identified in dogs eating both grain inclusive and grain free foods, but that pulses and legumes have been used for decades in petfood with no ill-consequences.", from this article: https://www.petcurean.com/blog/diet-and-dilated-cardiomyopathy-dcm-in-dogs/

• Registered Users Posts: 26 zyraaisha

Thank you everyone for the recommendations and advice. I'll have a read through the links, it sounds very interesting. We are very new to this and I'd like to give our new family member the best we can.

I love the Maltese breed, such bright little characters and generally easy to live with!

I know nothing about Nadur, but I do note that dog nutritionists seem to rank cold-pressed dry dog food higher than, say, high quality tinned foods for nutritional quality.

Based on this, I've recently relented somewhat after years of raw feeding, to adding a cold-pressed dry food, just to make feeding my crew a bit easier.

I buy it online from here: https://www.fetchyourpetneeds.ie/cold-pressed-dog-food/

I found it took a while, with gradual introduction, for them to settle on it, and they're still 75%+ raw fed, but just another option to throw into the ring for you!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

I've a Maltese. She has a mixed diet of royal canine Maltese kibble, chicken and treats.

If we don't have fresh chicken, the chicken is the breaded chicken patties (Tesco - pack 4 for €3) or frozen breaded chicken burgers. Cooked on a George foreman.

She's 12 this year and as healthy as you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

We have a 1 yo Cavachon, who was on Gain puppy food but wanting to move her to adult we said we would try the Nadur, after good reviews.

She loved the food itself, but it didn't seem to agree with her as after about a week or two she was constantly licking her paw to a point where it was raw, the only change in routine was the food.

She was on the Small dog adult - chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Just wondering what the op decided to feed in the end.

Have a 7 month old retriever X Doogle and was on the Wilderness junior from maxi zoo. She wasnt overly interested from day 1 but I used to mix chicken, rice etc to beef it up. More recently she was wondering at night downstairs and unsettled.

So a few days ago I was looking for a new brand and this Nadur was on offer. Brought home the puppy large (as regular unavailable) and I mixed it to wean her from old to new, but no fooling her.

Anyway, changed puppy. She's savaging the nuts. No persuading her, no watching her smell and walk away. And a full night's sleep since going on it.

However, I am not concerned over the grain free bit from reading above. Before googling, would it be an idea to self introduce grain, and what would that be? I'd hate to pull her off the stuff now....

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Just wondering what the op decided to feed in the end.

Have a 7 month old retriever X Doogle and was on the Wilderness junior from maxi zoo. She wasnt overly interested from day 1 but I used to mix chicken, rice etc to beef it up. More recently she was wondering at night downstairs and unsettled.

So a few days ago I was looking for a new brand and this Nadur was on offer. Brought home the puppy large (as regular unavailable) and I mixed it to wean her from old to new, but no fooling her.

Anyway, changed puppy. She's savaging the nuts. No persuading her, no watching her smell and walk away. And a full night's sleep since going on it.

However, I am now concerned over the grain free bit from reading above. Before googling, would it be an idea to self introduce grain, and what would that be? I'd hate to pull her off the stuff now....

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

^^ Seriously just ignore that grain free scaremongering. My own vet actually stocks the red mill grain free range and there’s no way she’d sell it if there was even the slightest risk.

The alleged issue with the grain-free food was not the lack of grain. It was the legumes used to replace the grain. So, from that point of view, there is no benefit to adding grains to the diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I would not think that Nadur is one of the worst and if it agrees with them, go for it. My fella was on Acana, no problem with it, apart from the constant rising price but moreso, it has been taken over by Mars petfood. So want to move away from it.

He will eat almost anything, but enjoys Canagan and more recently, 7 petfood. Both are grain free.

Both get fairly high scores on the AllAboutDogFood site.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 zyraaisha

Hi everyone. Just a little update, our puppy was on Nadur but had loose stools even after transitioning to it slowly. He was also very fussy, gassy and never finished his meal. He's now on Butternut box - no loose stool, no farts and licks his bowl clean every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pocketmo

All three of our dogs are on the duck version of Nádúr dog food and it is the only food that has settled our retriever's stomach. They all seem to enjoy it as well. Our dogs are different breeds, ages and sizes so being able to feed one food type is a bonus. Plus it's Irish made and sold in an Irish owned pet shop so it's supporting Irish business and not travelling 1000s of air miles.

Advertisement