Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Recreational Runner’s Heartbreak

Options
  • 28-12-2022 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭

So I’ve decided to start a log in the hopes of getting myself up and running (to pardon the pun). I’m running on and off since 2016 with more off than on tbh. None of my race times are current - I did Cork half in 2017 in a time of 2hrs 33mins . In 2019 I ran 2:12. Neither of which I was happy with - I’d love to run a half in under 2hrs. My best 5k is Togher in 2017 @ 24m 3 secs. I was doing well during lockdown until I had two bad falls within a month of each other and since then my confidence has been shot.

My main issues are that I train too fast (for me) and I lack consistency. I’m lucky in a way as I don’t get injured from training too fast just very rundown and tired which impacts my consistency. I probably need to look at diet and nutrition also. I have tried training by heart rate once before but it was an epic failure and didn’t last long. Hence the title of my log - I think though I have finally accepted that I’m not the next Sonia O Sullivan but a middle aged recreational runner who needs to slow down if I have any hope of building up consistent miles.

Heart Rate Training:

Cons:

I love running fast. ( for me)

cardiac drift - hr always increases no matter what pace in the second half of a run

cadence / form seem tied to pace and I tend to get upper back and neck pain when the pace is low

Heart rate strap has vanished - literally vanished 🙉

Pros:

I’ve done two runs using Fitzgerald’s 80/20 Zones and it's the first time since I started running that I did not have to fight the instinctive urge to pick up the pace when I spotted another runner.

I’ve a fancy new HR strap ordered due on Friday.

Will hopefully allow me to build a solid base

So I’m going to follow the 80/20 method using my LHR. The next 8- 12 weeks are going to focus on building a solid base.

LHR a/c to Garmin 173 @ 10:10 min/m ( from Aug needs to be reassessed once new HR strap arrives but I figure will get me started as I’ve never run so slow )

Zone 1 129 - 138bpm (75-80%)

Zone 2 140 - 154 bpm (81- 89 %)

Zone 3 166- 173 bpm (96- 100%)

Zone 4 176 - 182 bpm (102 - 105%)

Zone 5 183 + (106%)

Friday 23/12

This run was a bit all over the place - 4.08 miles @ 12:54min/m Av HR 151bpm Max 164 bpm

mile 1 - 12:41m/m - Av HR 144bpm max 157bpm Cadence 148 spm

mile 2 - 12:32m/m - Av HR 153 bpm Max 159bpm Cadence 162 spm

mile 3 - 12:56 m / m - Av HR 159 bpm. Max 164 bpm cadence 161 spm

mile 4 - 13:33 m/m - Av Hr 157bpm Max 162 bpm cadence 163 spm

Week 1 base building

Monday 26/12 bit better - 4.01 miles @ 13:25m/m Av Hr 150bpm. Max 160bpm

mile 1 - 12:29m/m - Av Hr 143bpm Max 155bpm Cadence 156 spm

mile 2 - 12:47 m/m - Av Hr 150bpm Max 157 bpm. Cadence. 161spm

mile 3 - 13:50 m/m - Av Hr 152 bpm Max Hr 160bpm Cadence 160 spm

mile 4 - 14:31m/m - Ah Hr 153bpm Max Hr 160bpm Cadence 160spm

Thursday 29/12. Watch 4.01 miles @ 13:07 m/m. Actual distance closer to 5miles. Av Hr 149bpm Max 162 bpm

Lovely day for a run. Started off with a few drills to lubricate the joints. Did this out the back so the neighbours don't think I’m totally doolally. Did a few high knees , butt kicks and skips. Headed out the door into a lovely fresh breeze with a bit of a bite. Love running in this weather. Was going well happy out when I decided to check the watch - had managed to run to the park about 3/4 mile with the watch off. 😴 Started the watch and went a little further to ensure I clocked up 4 miles. Happy with this - nice and slow. HR strap was on the doorstep when I returned so looking forward to more accurate data from now on.

Post edited by lulublue22 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Welcome, nothing better than a log to keep a person honest. I'm one of the last pace training holdouts so I don't know much about heartrate training day in day out but I do keep a close eye on my own metrics. There are several heartrate variables I notice from my own data

Time of day - morning time before eating I find my running heartrate more stable

Food choice - too much red meat and its elevated for at least 24 hours

Lifestyle - Although I love nothing better than a nice glass of red or a small whiskey I don't drink alcohol often. When I do imbibe more than normal there is a clear correlation between volume and average heartrate that lasts 24 to 72 hours.

Seasonal - slightly higher in the winter even when sleeping.

What I'm suggest is that you don't get caught up in outliers or spend too much time running slow just because you need to keep your heartrate in an arbitrary zone. Enjoy the base building and give it a good lash now and again. There are some fantastic reference points for your chosen training method within some of the other logs, get lost in them and ask lots of questions and most of all stay consistent, the enjoyment will follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Thanks Marathon2022 appreciate you taking the time to reply. I’m going to follow the 80/20 method so will do a few faster paced stuff as well. However I think I’m at the stage where I need to acknowledge where I am as opposed to where I think / hope I am. As I go up in distance my times drop off a cliff - indicating I have a very poor aerobic base. I generally top out at around 20 miles a week ( I’ve a few 23/ 24 mile weeks ) after that the wheels start to come off. That’s not high mileage by anyones metric. The tinman calculator gives me an easy pace of 12:48 to 13:16 based off my 2019 half. I couldn’t run a 1/2 right now. I reckon if I did a 5k all out now I’d come in around 29 mins. That’s an easy pace of 13:00 - 13:28. From a psychological point of view if I had to head out and keep my pace at 13 + m/m I’d cry. I have a latent competitive streak and pace just brings it out. So HR training is a way to keep the easy days easy - I find it much easier to focus on keeping HR between a certain range as much as possible which brings my easy pace closer to where it should be than keeping a 13 + min/m pace going.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭marathon2022

20 miles per week is great going, that's 80-90 per month or over a 1000 per year. You seem to have a good idea and plan, that's half the battle. Its a fine time to get a base prior to spring and summer targets. A half is certainly a solid goal to aim for, just take her handy :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Runster

I'm not going to lie, I find it hard to comprehend how you could even manage a 32 minute 5km if you keep running most miles easy at 13 mins plus.

In my opinion, if you're capable of doing 5km now at 29 mins then your easy pace should be somewhere around 11 min miles and you should aim to gradually make that faster.

I'd be inclined to put the heart strap and watch away (maybe keep the watch to see how many miles you run but that's it)

Just go out and run by feel and enjoy the process. Build your mileage up to the point where you can string a long run together

of about 10 to 12 miles and then start working on your speed by doing some short races or park runs.

This will put you in the best position to get your sub 2 hour half marathon.

Ultimately it will be up to you but good luck either way and at least take Marathon2022's advice about throwing caution to the wind and giving it a good go at times.

Thanks for the feedback Runster - 5k are not the issue really. I don’t mind them at all even if I’m dying a death during it. But I just can’t seem to bring it over to longer distances if that makes sense? I struggle hugely to get to a 10 mile long run 🤷‍♀️ I’ve tried it at 10:30 m/m 11 m/m 11:30 m/m and I’m totally wrecked after it - it’s not a easy run but a total slog fest. I then fall off the wagon for a period of time and then start all over again. Rinse and repeat. I’m hoping this time if I focus on slowing the pace right down I can focus on building the miles up over the next 8 wks or so and be in a consistent pattern of running and in a better position then to focus on speed. Otherwise I’m afraid I’ll just keep on repeating the last 6 years which is a bit demoralising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Welcome to the wonderful world of logging ! Slow the long runs down to what feels comfortable to you - a pace you could easily chat at and debate all the worlds problems at! I don’t have a strap but my heart rate isn’t very reliable to gauge runs on . For instance after a bottle of red wine it dips the next day massively - so could run flat out and my heart rate would look like I was walking ! Best of luck in the new year - looking forward to seeing your progress

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Runster

Well you know your body best but you should throw the watch and strap away until you're happy with yourself and your effort. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good luck with this. 80/20 is a good method, as long as you have good data. I wouldn't rely on the Garmin to give you your LT HR - it's just not accurate enough in my opinion. Would you consider getting a proper LT test? It will really set you up well for this kind of training.

Thanks D - You raise a valid point re LT HR. I would consider getting it done I just wouldn't know where. At the moment I'm using metrics from a field test I did in August. TBF that needs to be updated at this stage. My plan at the moment is really simple. 8 - 12 weeks of slowly building a base with a focus on

• run 3 days a week to increase to 4 ( I find this hard with work , kids and now a postgrad, 3 days seems to be the sweet spot)
    • Build up Long runs to 10 - 12 miles
    • slow down so I can build weekly mileage to 20/ 25 miles a week
    • consistency - keep it going.

Base Building Week 1

1/1/23 Run 3 of 3 Long Run - 6.19 miles @ 12:15 m/m Av HR 153bpm Max 170bpm

This was a bit of a slog fest in parts but really nice in others. It was to be an out and back flat run to keep HR in Zone 2. I misjudged the out section I needed to run a bit longer than 3 miles out to a/c for the steep home hill - I normally judge this fairly well to avoid having to run up the home hill as it sends HR into total orbit - It's a 8.3 % gradient and the few times I have ran it I've bloody well felt it. Generally I'm close enough and run the last 100m or so up and down the footpath at the base of the hill. I was fairly out today for some reason and really didn't fancy making up the distance running over and back the foot path. So I went with option 3 a smaller hill that I like running up. I knew it would push my HR up so I slowed down as much as possible. Happy over all with only a small blip in HR due to the Hill.

Total for the week 3 runs and 2 S&C.

Total wkly mileage 14.3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Just spotted your log.

I did a bit of HR training last year based off the 80/20 plan. I found it ideal for keeping me slow and steady during easy and very easy runs as I would have a tendency to get faster throughout a run otherwise. It’s definitely good for building a base. My HR zones came for a time trial but I’d say a bit of googling would find you somewhere to do LT testing for more precise zones.

Best of luck. Looking forward to following your log.

• Advertisement

Tks Kellygirl - I keep an eye on the female logs for tips / advice etc - your log is inspirational you’ve had a fantastic year congrats. I’m deeply envious ( and delighted for you too ) of your half time 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭babacool

Adding my nonsense to this if you don’t mind.

going by HR is something i normally fully Support at least for Base building (and non experienced runners) as it will ensure you Not overdoing it. That said, with women I am usually careful with that advice. From experience (no other data or research tk back that up but what I have seen and experienced with my wife) it seems to be unreliable for many women. Not 100% certain why but I found that (not sure how to phrase that without it coming across wrong) the bulkier a lady is, the less reliable. My wife ie tried following that and ended up running slower than she would walk just to stay in the “correct” zone. It’s gotten to the point that she got frustrated and almost gave up.

only when we stopped using the HR and changed the plan to something simple like: 4 runs a week. 2 runs of 30min easy, 1 long run (slowly building up to 12-14k all easy) and 1 workout (usually intervals and Not tempo runs) she started to progress and got her 5k time down from 38min to 32 (could have been sub 30 by now but she stopped with COVID coming to the scene and never got into it again).

the easy part we simply judged by: if you finish the run and need a few minutes to recover, you went too fast. If you finish the run and don’t really need a shower (still had one!!) you went to slow. Took a few runs to find the right pace but eventually we got there and it worked like a charm since.

oh and with regards to “running up a hill”, even less to worry about that. It will elevate your HR even if you walk 😁. I would try to keep as many ups and downs in a run and finishing on a hill is a good thing. Judge the effort by how your legs feel. If they burn you may go too fast. If they feel fine but still working a bit, that’s ok. It’s uphill and still Slow enough to cause any damage to the body.

Just a quick update I managed two more weeks of running in January before the wheels came off. I ended up with a few female health issues which really messed up my running - no energy and no sleep - Kept thinking it would get better / pass but before I knew it a month and a half had slipped by with no running. Eventually bit the bullet and went to the dr. Feel much better though this is not translating over to running yet though to be fair it's day 3 of meds but regardless I feel more positive.

Fri 17 / 3

Bite the bullet and went out for an easy 4 mile run in 51:01 @ 12:39 min /miles Avg HR 150bpm

Went out and back a local loop. Legs were good , breathing was good, felt a bit sluggish but happy to be out again. Was shattered that afternoon and evening which unfortunately did not translate into a good nights sleep.

Sun 19/3

easy 4 miles in 49:08 @ 12:14 min/miles Avg HR 148bpm

Legs - thighs and quads and groin were achy for this. Expected some pushback but not to this extent. Lovely run though. Felt good during despite the muscle soreness but felt it energy wise afterwards.

Wednesday 22/3

easy 3.5 miles in 41:08 @ 11:35 min/miles avg HR 161bpm

This was an interesting run - scheduled it during my girls activity - was very happy with my time management till I got out of the car and it lashed :) was lucky I had a raincoat in the car and off I went. I like running in the rain and it passed off quickly. Did a nice loop and then headed out the country road. I quickly learned though that country roads are deceptive - they look scenic and seem a nice choice for a run however the amount of drivers that take blind corners at speed and close to the ditch is crazy. I spent a lot of this run jumping in and out of ditches. Got a load of abuse off one such idiot ( despite the fact that I heard him coming and was standing waiting for him to pass well up on the ditch he'd want to have mounted the ditch to have hit me) was fuming as I really really felt he and his male passenger wouldn't dream of abusing a male runner - beeping horn , flashing lights , shouting abuse out the window. Was so cross I hurled some choice words back at him. Don't think I'll run this route again despite it being an enjoyable run.

Fri 24/3

Easy 3.57 miles in 42:51 @ 12:01 min/mile Avg HR 157bpm

nice easy run though I started too fast and had to reign myself in. Went through the local park which I love but it suffers badly from flooding so my nice pink runners are now covered in mud. Feel great though my Garmin is being picky and has me clearly in the overreaching category so I'll rest and recover for the weekend.

Weekly total 15 Miles

Hoping my sleep will get sorted and my energy will return but going to take this as it is. Happy out with this week - fingers crossed it's the start of something good.

Post edited by lulublue22 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Great that you’re back running . I avoided morning running for a bit when making my running comeback after similar issues . I found I’d be wrecked all day after a run and get nothing done . So I ran in the evenings when nothing left to do lol ! I also binned the watch for a bit and just ran local 3/4 mile loops so no stress over heart rate or pace etc etc .

Tks Bluesquare some good tips there - I find the tiredness / lack of sleep the hardest as it zaps your motivation to do anything - I find I’m shattered from work 😩 not a mind anything else. My main goal is to build up to 25 - 30 miles a week. Not pushed about pace or time just would like to be able to do 25 + miles a week. I think though I’ll have to be kind to myself in attempting to reach that goal 😀 slow and steady though I am thinking of doing a parkrun ( never done one) to add a bit of variety .

Just a little update - it looks like I’m moving into the chronic long term illness category - I’m waiting for official confirmation from the consultant but that seems to all extents and purposes a given. Luckily given the list of possible symptoms I’m not too bad in the grand scheme of things - fatigue being one of the major ones for me. Conversely this has been reassuring - there’s a reason other than lack of will power / laziness / poor nutrition that I have struggled to maintain consistency over a number of years with the running. It’s like a pressure has been lifted and my attitude is more positive. I’m kinder to myself 😁 Having said all that there has been very little running and won’t be starting again until after hols. I will probably post my attempts sporadically mainly to give myself a boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Sorry to hear that @lulublue22 best of luck with getting back running, hopefully you can do it without any negative impact to your health. 🤞

Thanks Annie - fatigue is the issue really which makes sense now ! Think I will be encouraged to maintain exercise so it’s just the balance between it and tiredness really. Though to be fair chronic is the word they use due to potential impact and luckily I’m well on the lower scale of symptoms other than the blasted fatigue.So really in the grand scheme of things all is good and I’m good so there is that 😁

Goodbye 2023 Hello 2024

What can I say the latter half of 2023 was a **** show. Kept tipping away nothing major nice and easy till Julyish - had improved diet & sleep , HRT was getting on top of symptoms saw a consultant and was due a smallish procedure in November . All was going ok then came Aug and a sick family member. Long story short diagnosis in Sep passed away in Dec. Christmas was shite and running has faded into the background. Here I am in Jan once more having yet to find the motivation to go out for a run but slowly starting to think that I could / should. Hoping to start again this month. Nothing major planned I think just to get out and run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Very sorry to hear of your bereavement and in such a short time frame, that's tough going.

Hopefully running will be a help, give you some time for you. Maybe a time to process things or just a time to tune out of the noise and listen to a good podcast or some music, whatever you need on any given day. Maybe set a manageable goal for yourself to start of with even 20mins 3 times a week, there is something about achieving a goal that always gives a nice buzz!

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

I am very sorry for your loss. It's hard trying to process something like getting a diagnosis & losing someone so quickly. All I can say is run if you feel like it; it doesn't have to be much, but if it does help you, then do it. Sometimes it can just help with processing things or just giving yourself that bit of time to yourself. I cried a lot on my runs after my dad (still do sometimes) that helped me, but we are all different, so do what helps you. Be kind to yourself too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Duanington

Very sorry to read this, reading through the log, it looks like you've had a rough year.

Hope you get the mojo to at least get out the door, run a bit, walk a bit, but get out the door - in my experience, its the hardest but most important part for anyone trying to get back into running.

A coach I know very well often tells her group, "you have to get very very good at getting out the door, forget distances, forget times, they'll take care of themselves once you get very good and getting out that door"

Tks @ariana` @Laineyfrecks and @Duanington - It has been hard. Funny enough I was just thinking if I could just get out that would be half the battle. Took the advice and just did it.

Managed 3 runs last week so I'm happy with that. Decided to just do it.

Sat 6/1 4 miles

lovely running weather - cold but dry. Really enjoyed this run though it was abit of a slog fest. Paths were still very icy which ment I slowed right down to avoid falling. Was touched that an elderly gentleman walking his dog went out of his way to let me know that the path all the way to the shopping center was very frosty. It's the small things really.

Mon 8/1 3 miles

Got a mad urge Mon to just go but the evening after work was really busy. Couldn't shake the desperate urge to get out and run ( the first for me really) So went out at 9:30 pm - went to a local well lit aera and ran laps around the walk way. It was bitter bitter cold but I was wrapped up well and enjoyed it.

Thurs 11/1 3 miles

Went straight after work. Again a lovely cold day for a run. Really love running in the cold.

3 runs 10 miles for the week. Happy with that. hope to do the same next week.

Delighted reading this update; well done to you. I love running in this weather too, when it's crisp, dry, and with a touch of sunshine! Have to agree with you, it's the little gestures that make you smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Duanington

Good on ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Delighted to see this too! The weather recently has been lovely for running when it's not too icy, running on grass may be on option on days when the paths are dangerous. It's great to hear you got back out and enjoyed it too, win win 😃

Week 2 of Just Do it

Life has a funny way of showing you that time is just a matter of perspective.

Sat 14/01 4 miles

Lovely 4 mile run around the park and out to collect the car. Again very cold but such beautiful weather to run in. Enjoying the head space running is giving me at the moment.

Tues 16/01 3 miles

nice run but popped in home home as we call it as it was on my way. mixed feelings sad to call into an empty house but comforting in its familiarity. think it's only now starting to hit.

Thurs 18/01 3 miles

Ran after work to clear my head. Tried out the new thermal gloves that where a belated xmas present. Delayed in the post. kept my hands nice and toasty.

10 miles total - happy with that. Strava is giving me plenty of kudos / well done messages anyhow so I must be doing something right. 😀

You are doing it your way so to me that's always right! Keep going, one day at a time🤗

Advertisement