Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price dispute

Options
  • 28-12-2022 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, looking for some advice here. We had our drain unblocked by a drain cleaning company 2 weeks ago. At the time they asked us to monitor it and if we had the same problem again they would come back out and use a camera to see what is causing the blockage. We paid and said we would do that. Anyway a couple weeks later we had the same problem so called them back and they came out. All fine, they found the blockage (a bamboo root) but we would have to pay them to come back to remove it. Got to them leaving and they said it’s €500 cash only. First off they never said this was that price on the phone, we had assumed it was the price on the previous invoice which listed a call out drainage cost and extra for the camera. Secondly they never stated it was cash only. Spoke to the guys manager who said it was a holiday rate which I disputed as it’s not a bank holiday ( it’s the 28th December). Got off the phone and rang around other drainage companies and they all quoted around 180 inc VAT and never mentioned a holiday rate. This seems like a scam to me, first off the price is way out compared to the market and secondly to demand cash afterwards. My husband called them again to discuss but the manager/owner was very abrupt and said he didn’t want to deal with it now and that he’d just found out his employees daughter had died. Don’t know what to make of it. We’re waiting for him to call back. I’m going to suggest I’ll pay the price on the original invoice (not the inflated holiday price) and that I’ll pay by card when his card machine is back working when I can get a full receipt. Wanted to hear others thoughts on this. Appreciate any feedback/comments.

thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Wow some price for cleaning and scoping it .

How was is so called cleaned before i wonder and i watch this lad to see what goes on.

Worth a watch on YouTube and roots are a hoot indeed but how long was he there cleaning your pipes?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 fox82

Thanks. He was here for about 30 minutes. It’s extortionate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

ask for bank details and do a transfer

I'm in retail 30+ years and I've never known a card machine to malfunction. A line can go dead, but the machines themselves are robust. And considering its most likely a mobile machine, the line would be fine

"employee's daughter died" and such, is a favourite tactic of dodgy contractors

Frankly, a decent drain company would have located the root at the first call. I had similar last year and within a few minutes they guessed it was a root issue and cleared it. I think it was about €200

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Ljmscooter

Today 28th is a public holiday aka Bank Holiday .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭VG31

It's not. Monday 26th and Tuesday 27th were bank holidays, the 27th being a holiday as Christmas Day was on a Sunday.

Today, the 28th is a normal working day. Some places may still be closed but it's still not a public holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

You've already stated you rang another company and got a cheaper quote, ring them back and get them to do the job

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Ljmscooter

For the sake of the topic, I am on oncall double time today as my company is using this day a day when all the banks and other companies are closed as a holiday.

The drain company might be doing same .

That's all

That’s fine but the customer needs to be told that in advance.

That was unfortunately after they had provided the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭greasepalm

What do they use for cleaning drains and pipes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Be prepared for this to keep happening as bamboo roots will grow quickly and travel.

It is good policy to ask the terms before the work is done. You have had two call outs, it is still pricey but you really can't complain. I would insist on card payment though. Nobody carries that amount of cash anymore. If necessary offer a cheque if you have one.

Advertisement