Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to check if I need Retention Permission?

Options
  • 27-12-2022 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I extended my terraced house in Dublin City Centre in 2006, got an architect to do the plans, obtained planning permission, engaged a builder and all went fine, there have been no objections or issues since then. It's a standard extension and is identical to many on the street.

I plan to sell next year so looked through the file and remembered that, though I sent in a "Commencement Notice" to the council, it was rejected as it was late.

Someone from the council did come out to inspect the extension after it has been built and said it was ok, but I promptly forgot about the whole thing since then.

I'm not sure of the status of the extension and suspect I missed a step, and this may hold things up when I sell.

So I'm looking to see what the status is of the extension - is there a website or office I can check up on? Or is there a company or architect I can engage to check to see if I need Retention Permission? many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,821 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You got planning permission and built according to plan so there would be no issues in that regard. You didn't submit a commencement notice (late is same as none) so you have that to contend with. However you can't submit it retrospectively so you will need a certificate of compliance from someone confirming the extension complies with both the planning permission and the building regulations excluding the issue of no commencement notice.

Did you have your architect inspect the works at the time? If so he he should provide the certs. You won't get any documents from the building control dept. and the only thing you can get from the planning dept is copies of the plans and the planning permission if you don't have those yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 MichaelMedik

Thanks very much Muffler, that is very helpful. The architect did inspect the works at the time and there were no issues.

So I understand therefore that I don't need to get Retention Permission at all so, just get an architect to provide a Compliance Cert.

However, I don't intend to sell until late next year, and from reading some of the replies on this forum, I got the impression that the Compliance Cert isn't as good as Retention Permission - as I have time, is there any advantage to go for Retention? The extension is almost identical to all the other houses on the street so I can't imagine anyone objecting (but then again, who knows!).

The original architect has emigrated since the build, so a final question - is there a good local firm or service that I can get a Compliance Cert from or can any architect do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,821 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You dont need retention if you have built in accordance with the plans submitted with the planning application at the time AND complied with any conditions attached to the planning permission. However I suspect you may have deviated a bit as you have now stated (twice) that the extension is identical / near identical to others. Other extensions are irrelevant. You've either built correctly or not. Even if you havn't and needed to apply for retention and it was granted, you will still need someone to certify the planning aspect and give an opinion on compliance with building regulations.

Im in Donegal so cant give any recommendations for architects/engineers/technicians in Dublin but most should be able to give the relevant certs/opinions if everything is in order.

Advertisement