Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wasps in house in Winter?

Options
  • 25-12-2022 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

Hi all. So I have a horrendous fear of wasps. After the very cold weather we had I was feeling pretty safe indeed. Then just a few days ago I was in the kitchen and to my shock I heard a loud buzz and saw one flying towards me. Killed it and removed it. Thought no more of it until today when as I walked in to the sitting room there was one flying around. Again killed and removed. I live in a reasonably modern house but obviously these were already inside. Any ideas where they could be coming from? Tia.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭dmc17

Did you bring in any firewood? I've had a few random ones appear inside during winter and it looks like they may have been hibernating in the logs and the heat of the house brings them out of hibernation.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭angeline

No definitely not. The only thing I brought in from the shed was the Christmas tree which I had standing there all year and had loads of cobwebs...

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭tamara25

I hate wasps also, had one in my kitchen a few days ago & yesterday it awoke from its slumber & I got it with the fly/wasp spray. Never seen one in the house before in December.. an aggressive one too I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

The queens come down my chimney and into the stove in the morning. Then when you open the stove they fly out.

This starts around late Oct. This is only happening in the last 5 years or so.

Ma has no fire in her house ( must have flew in through open window) yet she got stung in the bed a few weeks ago. She put vinegar on it straight away and the pain abated. After a week or so it got very itchy now grand though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

A few have come out of our Christmas tree in last week. It’s a real one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I have a load of surfboards in insulated bags out during the summer, ice isn't good boards so I take them in for the winter.

Found 15 queen wasps hibernating between the various boards when we moved them!! Happens every year, we live beside a heavily wooded area. Amazing how they know the material will protect them from the cold.

Advertisement