Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Senior Dog won't eat kibble

• 25-12-2022 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've a senior dog who has become a fussy eater so i've tried changing his kibble to mix it up but no improvement. I started adding in some wet food from a pouch to get him eating and it worked but now he's started to pick out the wet food and leave all the kibble.

I am thinking of trying another kibble maybe, james wellbeloved grain free or else just going all wet food. Can anyone recommend a decent wet food that is affordable? I've read so many bad reviews of the mainstream ones that I don't know what to believe any more. Naturo seems to have good ingredients?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Has he had a senior checkup with bloods done recently to rule any medical issues out? I like Nature diet for my old boy but it can be hard to get. Rocco Wurst from Zooplus is our next favourite as the texture suits him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Mix it up a bit. Chicken, wet food, pasta. Try a bit of salmon oil. Works wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Baybay

Not a dog but when our senior cat gets fussy, it’s usually a tooth issue. May be time for a dental check?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Anawilliam850

More than he is selecting the food because he does not like it, maybe something is wrong with his teeth, that he prefers to eat the wet food instead of the other

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I've 2 elderly dogs, and I feed wet food, Rocco mostly (from zooplus), but it varies.

He may have an issue with his teeth, or some other issue with his mouth.

One of mine doesn't drink much water so I switched to wet food for her, but ended up putting them all on wet, although youngest gets some dry.

If the quality is good there's no issue with feeding wet food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The same here with my cats. I keep dry food in as an emergency provision but always give wet food.

Advertisement