Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost luggage august 2022 TUI

Options
  • 23-12-2022 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,164 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

ill try and keep this as short as possible.

On the way back from Majorca on August 13th 2022 the 5 suitcases we had with us were not loaded onto the TUI plane on our return journey from PALMA airport due to problems with the belts at PALMA. This affected most passengers not just ourselves.

Upon arrival at Dublin we were notified and i filled out the PIR form plus another two forms.

I notified my travel insurance company straight away.

Over the next 5 weeks we received 4 of the 5 suitcases- Swiss port the baggage handlers had a certain amount of time to return all the suitcases but only returned the 4. After the time allotted (I can’t remember exactly how long) it falls on TUI to locate the bag or declare it lost.

I had been on the TUI website to see what their protocol is in the case of lost luggage- there is a number you can ring that goes straight to voicemail where i have left 10’s of voicemails with no answer.

Their is also a portal to log into where you declare all the luggage that is lost/delayed, which i done around the 20th August.

On the 11th November- after leaving multiple unanswered messages on the portal- i received a PDF letter from lostairlineluggage on behalf of TUI telling me TUI have declared the bag lost and they have paid no compensation.

I immediately contacted my insurance to be told they don’t pay out on this as it was on the return journey and that TUI have to foot the bill.

I have got back on to TUI since the 11th November multiple times via the portal and the phone that goes to voicemail to seek clarity on this- to no avail- no answer whatsoever from TUI.

I have contacted avaiationreg.ie who advised there is nothing they can do as they don’t deal with lost luggage only delayed or cancelled flight compensation, they advised to talk with- you guessed it- TUI!!! Or go through the courts system.

I Suppose I’m asking has anyone got a direct email or contact number for a department in TUI that can sort this, or is there another ombudsman department i could go to?

thanks folks and apologies for the long rant!!

Post edited by Tenger on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭moonshy2022

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

What a disaster, sounds like TUI are definitely trying to wash their hands of it

I'd second going via the small claims court, it's quite possible that TUI will just pay out straight away assuming the claim isn't that big (I'm guessing you weren't transporting a suitcase full of gold jewellery)

Make sure you have all your paperwork in order, including the letter from TUI saying they lost the luggage and wouldn't be paying out, copies of all correspondence, letter from your insurance company stating that they won't cover the luggage claim, and a rough estimation of the luggage contents and value

Basically you want to try and make it a spam dunk on the first try

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Advertisement