Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interest on Money in Client Account

• 23-12-2022 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

A solicitor is holding €17500 in his Client Account. He has confirmed that he indeed has the money and it has been in his possession for approx. 12 years - it is a deposit for a site purchase which was never completed.

My question is am I entitled to interest on this money in addition to the principal??

Ta

Comments

If the money was earning interest, yes generally you would expect to benefit from that.

I can't imagine it earned much if any interest since 2010 - solicitor client accounts were being charged negative interest rates until recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,555 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It is illegal for a client account to accrue interest so there is nothing for you to seek to get.

But anyway, as above, if you tried to get prevailing interest rates for that time period you'd end up with less money anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,441 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Can you cite the law on that? Has the 2014 Solicitors Accounts Regulations been rescinded? Any interest credited must be moved from the client account but the solicitor has an obligation to account for any interest received although there are different accounting methods.

reg 8(2) is (or was if it’s been rescinded) fairly clear on this point:

(2) A solicitor to whom these Regulations apply, shall, in respect of client moneys or controlled trust moneys or non-controlled trust moneys or insolvency arrangement moneys received by that solicitor for or on behalf of a client or a controlled trust or a non-controlled trust or an insolvency arrangement,

(I) hold such moneys in an interest bearing account and account for interest thereon while so held; or

(II) account for interest thereon.

Advertisement